- The Evans Middle School PTSO will hold the inaugural Red Ribbon Tip Off celebrity charity basketball tournament on Friday. The event, from 6-8 p.m., will be held at the Evans Middle School gymnasium. Tickets will be $6 per person at the door, with a $1 discount for those who bring a canned good or nonperishable item for Spooky To Be Hungry. Proceeds benefit drug awareness in Columbia County, the Columbia County Alternative School, and the Evans Middle School Technology Fund. For information, contact Marguerite Creekmore at (706) 993-1973 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The second annual WSI-SRS United Way 10K River Run, 5K Walk and One-Mile Kids Fun Run will be held at 9 a.m. Saturday at the North Augusta Riverview Park Activities Center. The cost is $30 for the 10K and 5K and $10 for the Fun Run, and online registration is available through www.active.com and www.strictlyrunning.com. For details, contact Steve Morrone at (803) 952-7521.
- Greenbrier High School will hold Octoberfest on Saturday. The event, which will run from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m., includes a car and bike show, a chili cook-off, a yard sale with spaces to rent, a silent auction, a basketball camp for children in Grades 3-5, and entertainment and concessions. Proceeds will benefit the Greenbrier High School girls basketball team. For information or to join the car show, yard sale or camp, contact (706) 831-0091 or email@example.com.
- Lakeside will hold its JROTC Fun Run on Nov. 6. Check-in/registration will start at 8 a.m., and the race will start at 9 a.m. Advance registration is $20, while registration on the day of the race is $25. There will also be a kids half-mile run at 9:45 a.m. for $15. Participants are asked to bring a canned goods for the Golden Harvest Food Bank. For information, contact Maj. McKean at (706) 863-0027, ext. 4391, or firstname.lastname@example.org, or e-mail Veronica Payne at email@example.com.
- The Peach Belt Conference and Family Y will conduct the inaugural Peach Belt Conference Fall Festival 5K and 1K Fun Run on Nov. 6 at 11 a.m. at Blanchard Woods Park. The event is open to the public, and all proceeds will benefit at-risk middle school sports programs in Columbia County. The 1K Fun Run is designed for children to be able to take part. The cost is $20 for adults ($25 after Oct. 23) and $10 for children 12 and under. Those who register by Saturday are guaranteed an event T-shirt. Participants also receive a buy one, get one free coupon for the Peach Belt Soccer Championships held Nov. 5 and 7 at Blanchard Woods. For information, call the Marshall Family Y at (706) 364-3269.
The information meeting for the CSRA Heat Volleyball Club will be held today at 2 p.m. at the Hull Fine Arts Center at Augusta Prep. Traveling teams and developmental clinics for girls in grades 4-12 will be discussed. Tryouts start Nov. 7. For information, visit online at www.csraheat.com or contact Lance Abbott at (706) 860-8539 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Greenbrier High School will hold its Basketball Mini-Camp for boys and girls in grades 3-5 on Saturday. The camp from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. will be held at the school's gymnasium. The cost is $25 per child. Those attending should wear basketball shoes, a T-shirt and shorts and should bring a water bottle. A snack will be provided. For information, contact Kevin Hunt at (706) 650-6040 or email@example.com.
A-Team Baseball will play host to a tryout Nov. 6-7 at Riverside Park for ages 10-12 for the 2011 spring season. For information, contact Adrian McCladdie at (706) 288-8511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.