Family Y signups
Marshall Family Y registration for flag football and cheerleading for ages 5-14 and co-ed lacrosse for ages 7-15 will run through Sunday. Regular registration for lacrosse and late registration for football and cheerleading will run through Sept. 12. The season starts in October. Regular-season games will be played on Saturdays. The cost for each sport is $55 for Y members and $75 for nonmembers, plus $10 for late registration. For information or to register, visit the Marshall Family Y at 1202 Town Park Lane in Evans, call (706) 364-3269, or go to www.thefamilyy.org.
- The Columbia County Chaos boys travel baseball team is seeking players to fill open roster spots for the upcoming season. Experienced players are preferred. Players must be 11 or younger as of May 1. For information, contact Trevor Adkins at (706) 284-7379.
- The Georgia Lightning 12-U travel baseball team is having a tryout for the upcoming season. Players cannot turn 13 before May 1. For tryout dates and information, contact Billy Kelley at (706) 825-9898.
- The Columbia County Stealers 12-U baseball team is looking for players for the upcoming season. Players cannot turn 13 before May 1. Players need to be able to pitch and play multiple positions. Practices are held at Riverside Park and Patriots Park. For information, contact Scott Stewart at (706) 825-0007 or scott. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The 10-U Georgia Spikes travel baseball team is seeking players, preferably with pitching experience, for the 2010-11 season. Players must not turn 11 before May 1. For information, contact DeWayne Smoak at (706) 513-1494.
- The Columbia County Volcanoes 11-U baseball travel team is looking for a pitcher for the upcoming season. The player must try out. Players cannot have turned 11 before May 1. Practices are held at Riverside Park, Windmill Plantation and Patriots Park. For information, contact coach Van Dixon at (706) 830-2806.
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Augusta will hold the 2010 Charity Golf Classic on Sept. 13 and the accompanying Red Shoe Golf Ball on Sept. 11. Both events will be held at West Lake Country Club. The tournament features an 11 a.m. shotgun start. The cost of $250 per person or $1,000 for a four-person team covers golf, lunch, range balls, contests, and team and individual prizes. Sponsorships are available for the golf tournament. The Red Shoe Golf Ball runs from 7-10 p.m. and features dinner, a silent auction, live music, games, a raffle, prizes and a red shoe contest. Casual attire is suggested. The cost is $75 per person or $130 per couple. For more information or to register, call (706) 724-5901 or e-mail email@example.com.
The U.S. Coast Guard Auxilliary and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will hold a boating safety course Saturday at Thurmond Dam Visitors Center, located on Route 221, just on the South Carolina side of Thurmond Dam. Class will start at 8:30 a.m. and be completed by 4:30 p.m. There will be a 30-minute lunch break, and participants should bring their own lunch. There will also be optional on-water training. Completion of the course satisfies both Georgia and South Carolina boating safety education requirements. The class fee is $35 for an individual and $50 for the entire family and includes a textbook. For information, contact John VanOsdol at (864) 391-2170 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Pat McMenamin at (706) 829-6011 or email@example.com.
The Savannah River Sail and Power Squadron (SRSPS) is conducting free vessel safety checks. These are checks of your boat to verify that it has the required safety equipment and documentation. Boats that successfully complete the check are awarded a completion decal. For a free check, e-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org (Georgia) or email@example.com (South Carolina). An examiner will come to you.
The Lakeside High School cheerleading squad will hold a Kiddie Camp for girls in grades kindergarten through eighth grade on Saturday from 9 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. For information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jim Siple will be conducting his annual free summer conditioning workouts for children ages 10 and older through August. The workout is open to participants from any school and is designed to get athletes in shape for the fall season. Workouts will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. and Saturdays at 10 a.m. at Blanchard Park in Martinez, located off Belair Road at 4541 Dewey Drive. Siple has been a volunteer coach with the Columbia County Recreation Department for 22 years. For information, call (706) 860-1592.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.