Host families sought
The Columbia County Recreation Department is seeking host families for teams visiting the area for the Ponytails World Series at Patriots Park.
Opening ceremonies are set for July 30, while the tournament will run from July 31 until Aug. 5. Ten families are needed to help show the visiting teams around the county and handle several other team needs.
Participating families can choose their favorite state team among the following that still need a host: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia. For information, contact Ken Warner at (706) 312-7402 or email@example.com or Christi DeLoach at (706) 312-7411 or ">firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rec league sign-ups
The Columbia County Recreation Department will hold registration starting Monday and ending July 30 for baseball, soccer, football and cheerleading. The season will start in September and end in November. For information, call (706) 863-7523.
Players are needed
- The Columbia County MudCats are looking to organize an 11-Under team for the upcoming season. Players can't turn 12 before May 1, 2011. The season runs from August 2010 until July 2011. Contact Brian Murphy at (706) 860-4321, (706) 564-4980 or email@example.com.
- A 12-Under travel baseball team is seeking additional players for its upcoming season. Players must not have turned 13 before May 1. For information, contact Kevin Thompson at (706) 533-5299 or Donald Long at (706) 339-1257.
- Augusta Junior Golf Magazine Tour tournament dates include Tuesday at Persimmon Hill Golf Club in Saluda, S.C., July 19 at Belle Meade Country Club in Thomson, and Aug. 2 at Jones Creek Golf Club. Registration and tournament rules can be accessed at www.augusta juniorgolf.com. For information, call (706) 231-9594 or e-mail carla.ramsey@augusta juniorgolf.com.
- Applewood Golf Course will hold a golf outing Saturday as a fund-raiser for Mike Gallagher, one of the course's original members who is undergoing treatment for cancer. The tournament will be a four-man Lauderdale (also called Captain's Choice) format, with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. The entry fee of $75 per person or $300 for a team covers golf, a cart, lunch and prizes. There will be a putting and hole-in-one contest, raffles, mulligans and auctions. Hole sponsorships are available for $100, and donations of money or goods and services will be accepted for door prizes and auction items. Sign-up deadline is Wednesday at 5 p.m. For information, contact the course at (706) 554-0028.
- The Columbia County Junior Golf Championships will be held July 21-22 at Bartram Trail Golf Club. The annual event is free for all children in Columbia County. Boys and girls ages 6-18 from beginner to varsity high school players are encouraged to participate. Sponsorships are also available. To sign up or to get sponsorship information, contact Bartram Trail Golf Club at (706) 210-4681.
- Bartram Trail Golf Club will be providing two instructional golf clinics in July for children ages 6-14. Each clinic will run from 8-10 a.m. daily. The clinics will be held Monday-Thursday and July 26-29. The instructor is Lee Henry. Cost is $90 for each instructional clinic. Space is limited. For information or to register, call (706) 210-4681.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.