Y Soccer sign-ups
The Marshall Family Y in Evans will hold fall soccer league registration through July 9 in Evans and Grovetown. The coed league is for ages 3-10. Practices and games for those in Evans will be held at the Augusta Jewish Community Center and Oakey Grove Church. Practices and games for those in Grovetown will be held at Goodale Park and at the Evans locations. Practices start Aug. 9.
Golf car raffle
The Georgia RiverDawgs 10-Under travel team is raffling a four-passenger Club Car gas golf car with canopy top and windshield. Tickets are $5. The drawing will be held in June. Tickets can be purchased by calling (706) 945-4621.
- A 12-Under travel baseball team is seeking players for its upcoming season. Players must not have turned 13 before May 1. For information, contact Kevin Thompson at (706) 533-5299 or Donald Long at (706) 339-1257.
- The Columbia County Recreation Department will hold registration July 12-30 for baseball, soccer, football and cheerleading. The season will start in September and end in November. For information, call (706) 863-7523.
- Augusta Junior Golf Magazine Tour tournament dates include Monday at Bartram Trail Golf Club, July 5 at Midland Valley Country Club, July 13 at Persimmon Hill Golf Club, July 19 at Belle Meade Country Club, and Aug. 2 at Jones Creek Golf Club. Registration and tournament rules can be accessed at www.augustajuniorgolf.com. Call (706) 231-9594 or e-mail carla.ramsey@augustajunior golf.com.
- Applewood Golf Course will hold a golf outing July 17 as a fundraiser for Mike Gallagher, one of the course's original members who is undergoing treatment for cancer. The tournament will be a four-man Lauderdale format, with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. The entry fee of $75 per person or $300 for a team covers golf, a cart, lunch and prizes. There will be a putting and hole-in-one contest, raffles, mulligans and auctions. Hole sponsorships are available for $100, and donations of money or goods and services will be accepted for door prizes and auction items. Sign-up deadline is July 14 at 5 p.m. For more information, contact the course at (706) 554-0028.
- The Columbia County Junior Golf Championships will be held July 21-22 at Bartram Trail Golf Club. The annual two-day event is free for all children in Columbia County. Boys and girls ages 6-18 from beginner to varsity high school players are encouraged to participate. Sponsorships are also available. To sign up or to get sponsorship information, contact Bartram Trail Golf Club at (706) 210-4681.
- Bartram Trail Golf Club will have two instructional golf clinics in July for ages 6-14. Each clinic will run from 8-10 a.m. daily. The clinics will be held July 12-15 and July 26-29. The instructor is Lee Henry. Cost is $90 for each instructional clinic. Space is limited. For information or to register, call (706) 210-4681.
- The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will hold a boating safety course Saturday at Thurmond Dam Visitors Center, on Route 221, on the South Carolina side of Thurmond Dam. Class will start at 8:30 a.m. and be completed by 4:30 p.m. There will be a 30-minute lunch break, and participants should bring their own lunch. There will also be optional on-water training. Completion of the course satisfies both Georgia and South Carolina boating safety education requirements. The class fee is $35 for an individual and $50 for the entire family and includes a textbook. For information, contact John VanOsdol at (864) 391-2170 or email@example.com or Pat McMenamin at (706) 829-6011 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Savannah River Sail and Power Squadron is conducting free vessel safety checks. These are checks of your boat to verify that it has the required safety equipment and documentation. Boats that successfully complete the check are awarded a completion decal. For a free check, e-mail your request to email@example.com (Georgia) or butch.lynne.rachal@ gmail.com (South Carolina). An examiner will come to you.
- The YMCA Summer Golf Camp will be held July 19-22 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. for juniors ages 6-17. Included will be instruction on all phases of the game and nine holes of golf. The cost is $149. For information or to register, contact Jay Brooks at (706) 830-2752 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Augusta Prep will hold a volleyball camp July 19-20. There are two sessions: grades fifth through eighth from 9 a.m. until noon and grades ninth through 12th from 1-4 p.m. The cost is $60 for the two-day camp and $130 for the five-day camp. For information, contact coach Rich Bland at (706) 414-6145 or prep email@example.com.
- The Greenbrier High School instructional baseball camp will be held Monday-Tuesday from 9 a.m. until noon for ages 6-13. The cost is $50 per camper and $25 for a second camper. Each participant will receive a camp T-shirt. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. on June 28 at the baseball field.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.