While some churches are opting to not hold Christmas Eve services this year, there are still a lot of churches open for residents wishing to attend a house of worship the day before Christmas.
Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church will once again hold not one but three candlelight services on Christmas Eve, all aimed at a different segment of the population.
"We don't do communion because he [Jesus] just got born," said Senior Pastor Eddie Bradford. "But, we do hold three services -- 5, 7:30 and 11."
At the 5 p.m. service, the Nativity story will be read as members place the figures at the front of the church. That service is aimed toward families and will include singing.
The 7:30 p.m. service is held in the church's warehouse, where the praise band meets. This service includes Christmas Eve and praise songs, along with a message.
And, finally, the 11 p.m. service involves the telling of lessons and singing of carols and concludes with the ringing of bells.
"We ring the bells at the end of the service and proclaim that it's Christmas Day," said Bradford, who adds that each service will end with the lighting of candles and singing of Silent Night as the congregation "goes into the silent night."
While Bradford can't speak to why some churches are opting out of Christmas Eve services, he says there is no place he'd rather be on Christmas Eve than at church.
"People still have very good old traditions that they love, and being in church on Christmas Eve is something I can't imagine not doing," he said.
Christmas Eve services
- Abilene Baptist Church; 6 p.m., Silent Lord's Supper
- Christ the King Lutheran Church: 6, 8 and 11 p.m., communion
- Grace Baptist Church: 6 p.m., candlelight communion service
- Greater Augusta Apostolic Church: 5 p.m., candlelight service
- Journey Community Church: 5:30 and 7 p.m.
- Martinez Baptist Church: 6:30 p.m., candlelight communion
- Church of the Holy Comforter: 5:30 and 11 p.m.
- St. Theresa of Avila Catholic Church: midnight Mass
- Stevens Creek Church: 3, 4:45 and 6:30 p.m.
- Wesley United Methodist Church: 2:30 p.m. (families and children); 4, 5:30 and 7 p.m., candlelight communion; 11:30 p.m.; lessons, carols and candlelight communion
- West Acres Baptist Church: 5 p.m., candlelight communion
- West Town Community Church: 6 p.m., candlelight communion
- Westminster Presbyterian Church: 6 p.m., singing and Scripture reading
- Kiokee Baptist Church: 6 p.m., candlelight communion
- Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church: 5, 7:30 and 11 p.m., candlelight services
- Harlem United Methodist Church: 8 p.m., candlelight communion
- Redeemer Presbyterian Church: 5 p.m., candlelight service
- Harlem Baptist Church: 6 p.m., candlelight communion
- Marvin United Methodist Church: 6 and 9 p.m., candlelight service
- Vineyard Church of Augusta: 4 and 11 p.m.,
- Warren Baptist Church: 4 and 5:30 p.m.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.