While a national magazine names the Evans area as a top place for families to live, residents living in Evans a century ago might have known their community's name by a different spelling.
As railroad tracks were constructed through parts of Columbia County in 1882, a depot, which was named "Evans," and a post office were built. The depot was named in honor of Gen. George W. Evans, a former Augusta mayor who moved into the Columbia County home of his second wife in 1863.
For more than 40 years, mail sent from the post office was postmarked "Evens, Ga." The depot, however, was correctly spelled "Evans." A story about the spelling error ran in The Columbia News in 1926, and the mistake was corrected.
Gen. Evans died in 1877 when he was 76 years old. The home of Gen. Evans and his second wife can still be found on Columbia Road.
The building is used by the Church of Our Savior, which has a Martinez address.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.