The United States Achievement Academy said Jaiden Bowyer, of Grovetown, has been recognized as a student of excellence in mathematics. Jaiden, who attends Grovetown Middle School, was nominated by his teacher, Kemberly Carter.
Jaiden is the son of Logan and Betsy Bowyer, of Grovetown. His grandparents are Kevin and Bonnie Creller, of Alburgh, Vt.
Denise Gamble, of Evans, has been awarded a scholarship by the Ty Cobb Educational Foundation. Gamble is among the 224 Georgia residents who received $524,000 in scholarships for the 2008-09 academic year. Gamble is studying for a biology degree at Georgia Southern University.
- Jeremy Thomas Knies, of Evans, a first-year student at the Liberal Arts and Sciences College at Iowa State University, has been named to the spring 2008 dean's list.
- Brian G. Maleck , a sophomore from Martinez, whose major is civil engineering, has been named to the spring 2008 dean's list at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
- Courtney Kristine Shade , daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence T. Shade, of Grovetown, who is attending Peabody College, has been named to the spring 2008 dean's list at Vanderbilt University.
- The following students have been named to the dean's list at the University of Georgia for the 2008 summer semester: Appling : Jordan Scott Hester; Harlem : Kalyn Marabeth Kitchings; Grovetown : Brittany Moralle Bartles, Stephanie Nichole Gilmore; Evans : Michael Taylor Barman, Travis Allen Isak Greene, Kaleigh Renae Jablonski, Navid David Khazrai, Brittany Lauren Smithson, Fangzhi Tian, Jonathan Evan Goldman, Erin Marie Cain, Kristen Leigh Motlow, Kara May Knight; Martinez : Bethany Kayla Bourne, Joseph Paul Carter, Kelsi Monique Dennis, Brian Curtis Gardner, Khaled Amin Khlifi, Lacey Jay Miller, Nithya Malti Natrajan, Angela Victoria Pocta, Hunter Kenneth Pratt, Natasha Lanshin Reynolds, Balaji Dhandapani, Sara Frances Good, Scott Warren MacGregor, Sohaib Masood, David Aaron Scharff and Jamie Diane Lake.
- The following local students have been named to the dean's list for the 2008 summer semester at Augusta State Univerity: Appling : Jessica B. Dorn, Tracey F. Hardin; Harlem : Mark A. Boiter, Donald L. McFatridge, Venessa L. Root, Vicki L. Seal; Grovetown : Heather E. Baskin, Tamara A. Coleman, Salomon C. James, Stephen C. James, Haley Jannenga, Melissa L. Johnson, Chantal S. Knight, April R. Sanderson, Alexander R. Thurmond, Tiffany R. Tyree, Jeremy L. Washburn; Evans : Nicole E. Barnes, Angela M. Bush, Phillip M. Dominy, Bo S. Doran, Sarah Higgins, Robert D. Keeler, Benjamin M. Kilpatrick, Rachel L. Langley, Lauren R. Middleton, Samuel A. Peery, Kelly B. Segraves, Andrew R. Smith; Martinez : Kenneth C. Atkins, Petra U. Bailey, Christopher A. Ball, James N. Beatty, Andrea R. Bennett, Emily N. Bratianu, Brittany D. Clark, Mark K. Daughtry, Krystal M. Herline, Nathaniel T. Hightower, Tiffany N. Hinkle, Serrenyun A. Jackson, Sherri M. Jahn, Callista D. Kiss, Kathleen M. Quinlan, Frank J. Schmidt, Dallas R. Smith, Vanessa A. Springfield, Paul A. Sweeney, Tara E. Sweeney, Linda C. Weare, Kevin J. Wickware, Zachary S. Williams, Ashley S. Wilmer and Laurie B. Wombles.
- Amy Catlett , of Martinez, received a master's of arts in education degree during summer graduation from Murray State University in Murray, Ky.
- The following local students have graduated from Excelsior College of Albany, N.Y.: Timothy L. Alba , of Harlem, bachelor of science; Jennifer L. Penton , of Evans, bachelor of science; and Michele Lewis , of Harlem, bachelor of science in nursing.
- The following students participated in the commencement exercise Aug. 2 at the University of Georgia.
Grovetown: Stephanie Nichole Gilmore, bachelor of arts in journalism; Evans: Brittany Jo Armstrong, bachelor of arts in journalism; Erin Elizabeth Attaway, bachelor of science; Travis Allen Isak Greene, bachelor of science; Cory Michael Pruett, master of forest resources; Brittany Jayne Slonina, bachelor of arts; Martinez: Michael Thomas Clark, bachelor of business administration; Samiron Kumar Dutta, bachelor of science in biological engineering, bachelor of science in applied biotechnology, and bachelor of science in agriculture; Emily Alise Harrison, bachelor of science in health promotion; Amit George Mathew, master of science; Lacey Jay Miller, bachelor of science; Rachael Marie Posada, bachelor of science in family and consumer sciences; Neil Amber Saha, bachelor of arts; Jennifer Erin Teems, master of science; Augusta: Valerie Ann Capuy, bachelor of science.
- James M. Herrington, of Evans, graduated from the Georgia Leadership in Life Institute. Sponsored by the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors, this program accepts a limited number of applicants from among its 63,000 members nationwide. Herrington was honored as an institute graduate during commencement exercises in Macon.
- Maria D. Deliz Cruz, of Grovetown, was awarded a bachelor of science degree in criminal justice by Kaplan University during a commencement ceremony in August at the Chicago Symphony Theatre.
- Elizabeth Victoria Hunt , of Harlem, received an associate of fine arts degree with a concentration in art during summer commencement exercises from Young Harris College. Hunt is the daughter of Jimmy and Susan Hunt of Harlem and the granddaughter of Billy and Shirley Carithers of Dearing and Henry Lee Hunt of Harlem.
- Evans resident Robert Michael McGraw graduated cum laude from Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, N.C., in May. He earned a bachelor of science in parks and recreation management.
- Courtney R. Owen of Martinez, whose major is education specialist in instructional technology, has graduated from Valdosta State University in the summer semester.
- The following local students received their degrees in May from Central Michigan University: Julia Eveker of Evans, received a master of science in administration degree; and David Marana of Evans, received a master of science in administration degree at graduation ceremonies in May.
Charlotte Cue, of Martinez, earned The Marylu Tippett Villavieja Award for the 2008 academic year at Agnes Scott College. The award is given to students who are studying or will study Spanish in a Spanish-speaking country. A 2006 graduate of Lakeside High School in Evans, Cue is the daughter of Leslie Cue and Jorge Cue of Martinez.
Seven Columbia County students have been named as semifinalists in the 54th annual National Merit Scholarship Program. These students will have the opportunity to continue in the competition for about 8,200 National Merit Scholarships worth more than $35 million. The winners will be announced beginning in the spring. The semifinalists are Nicholas S. Reed and Margaret H. Shepherd of Evans High School, Emily K. Bragg of Greenbrier High School, Zachary M. Dromsky and James Meixiong of Lakeside High School, Matthew T. Shafer of Augusta Preparatory Day School and Martinez resident Matthew W. Sheen , who is home-schooled.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.