If you enjoy growing your own vegetables but don't have the acreage, don't despair. An assortment of vegetables can easily be harvested from containers.
The Old Farmer's Almanac All-Seasons Garden Guide shares how to plan and grow several menu-themed gardens in pots, tubs and barrels.
Be sure your container has drainage holes in the bottom and remember that plastic pots won't dry out as fast as unglazed ones.
Try growing the following groups together to create a themed "cook's delight" garden.
- SALSA GARDEN: LaRoma tomato, early jalapeo hot pepper, cilantro and scallions
- PIZZA GARDEN: Milano tomato, Carmen sweet pepper and oregano
- FRENCH GOURMET GARDEN: Nickel filet beans, shallots, Chartwell lettuce and Parisienne cornichon cucumber
- STIR-FRY GARDEN: Choko baby bok choy, Zephyr summer squash, New Crown daikon radish and snow peas
- ITALIAN CHEF'S GARDEN: Tromboncino heirloom squash, Corno di toro roasting pepper, broccoli raab, Roma paste tomato, Chiogga beets and Fino Verde bush basil
- THAI GARDEN: Siam Queen basil, Thai Dragon hot pepper, asparagus pea and Ping Tung eggplant
- MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN: Black Forest climbing zucchini, Marconi roasting pepper, Greek oregano, Amira cucumber, San Marzano paste tomato and Golden Sunrise chard
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.