Looking for some tips on sprucing up your home this spring?
Libby Langdon, the commentator on HGTV's Small Space, Big Style , offers her secrets on quick tips to redesign your home and get ready for spring in style.
- Get new light-colored bedding (even if you have a dark room, white sheets and bedding will look beautiful).
- Mix pale patterns and add some extra pillows for a fluffy, luxurious look.
- Buy some bright new towels for your bathroom in addition to a bath mat and shower curtain -- it's a quick fix that can easily and inexpensively change a room's mood.
Let in the light
- Use sheers and light woven drapes to let in as much light as possible.
- Get rid of metal blinds and soften windows with roman shades -- they are inexpensive and can be found at most home improvement stores.
- Put down a light area rug to visually open up your space.
- Add a mirror opposite a window to bring in more natural light -- it will brighten the entire space.
Bring in the green
- Cut tall twigs from shrubs, bring inside and set in a tall vase with water -- your room will soon be filled with springtime as green buds and flowering leaves start to appear.
- Force fragrant bulbs such as paperwhites, narcissus and hyacinth.
- Start a windowsill garden of easy-care potted plants.
- Use cut flowers to add cheer and a quick fix to dress up a room.
- Paint a room in your house a new color. Even if you keep all your existing furniture, paint can give what you already have a completely new look.
- If you don't want to paint the entire room, paint just one wall.
- Some paint companies make sample sizes of colors so you can test a spot and see what you like and how it looks in the day and night.
- Get some new artwork to compliment the color, or paint some of your own custom artwork.
For more tips, go to www.libbylangdon.com.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.