An expert in the treatment of toxic mold and other contaminants will speak Tuesday at the Columbia County Library about a health danger experts say lurks in many people's homes.
Dr. Andrew Campbell, an expert in immunotoxicology from Spring, Texas, will discuss the dangers of Indoor Air Contamination, Mold and Toxins, during a 6:30 p.m. lecture at the Jabez Sanford Hardin Performing Arts Center.
The lecture was organized by Iris Brooks, a Thomson resident, who along with her husband, says she nearly died as a result of mold and fungi found in her former Harlem home. A roof leak allowed mold and fungi to grow, which led lethal levels of trichothecene, a poison, to develop in her home.
"Since this happened to us our lives were devastated," Brooks said. "We were actually both fighting for our lives and ended up cast into being homeless for 10 months and had to throw away all our belongings."
Ryan Peel, the owner of Peel Home Inspections, a sponsor of the event, said mold infestations are a common problem. Of the homes his company inspects, 20 percent have a mold problem, Peel said, with about 5 percent presenting a danger to an occupant's health.
Homes with crawl spaces are more likely to have problems with mold, Peel said. Homeowners should make sure their crawl spaces are dry and adequately ventilated.
"The biggest thing someone needs to look for is moisture," Peel said.
"Any type of leak, whether it be in a bathroom or a kitchen counter top, a roof leak, even leaky shower heads, any type of water leak at all, that's where it starts."
People typically do not discover a mold problem until their home is for sale and is inspected, Peel said.
The talk is free. For more information, call (706) 595-7620.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.