From staff reports
According to the best information available, Columbia County is named after the explorer Christopher Columbus. But what about the places inside Columbia County?
Where did those names come from?
Here's a look at those origins:
- Evans: Defined as a series of directions kept at the post office - which originally opened in 1882 - Evans is named for one of the area's first settlers, Gen. George W. Evans.
- Martinez: This unincorporated area is named for Antonio Martinez y Saldivar, a Cuban who moved to the county by way of New York in the late 1800s. The area originally was called Lulaville, after Saldivar's daughter, until postal officials realized Georgia already had a Lulaville when they opened the Martinez post office in 1915.
- Harlem: Established in 1870, Harlem gets its name from early visitors who thought the fledgling town's cultural life reminded them of New York City's artistic center.
- Grovetown: Established in 1881, Grovetown was named for Grove Baptist Church, which predates the city.
- Appling: The town of Appling was established in 1792 on five acres of land donated by William Appling.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.