The second annual CSRA Prospect Showcase will be played Saturday, July 29, at Lake Olmstead Stadium.
The inaugural game was a huge success, with several participants earning scholarships based on scouts' assessments from this event. The game will once again feature the very best baseball players in the area.
Columbia County will have a number of players featured in the event. Of the 16 players for Team Georgia, nine hail from Columbia County.
Below is a list of the county players who were chosen:
- Mike Sanders, Harlem, pitcher
- Kyle Golden, Evans, pitcher
- John Arena, Lakeside, outfield
- J.C. Huffman, Lakeside, infield
- Zach Lawson, Lakeside, infield
- Brandon Cumpton, Greenbrier, pitcher and designated hitter
- Jeff Rowland, Greenbrier, outfield
- Josh Whitaker, Augusta Christian, shortstop
- Taylor Hensley, Augusta Christian, catcher
The day's festivities will begin with a Homerun Derby at 1 p.m. and the seven-inning All-Star Game beginning at 2 p.m. More than 30 college and pro scouts are expected to attend.
Evans boy wins golf prize
Congratulations to 11-year-old Kris Douglas, of Evans, who took first-place honors in the Country Insurance and Financial Services Closest to the Pin contest during the 2006 Country Youth Classic, played at the Highland Park Golf Course in Bloomington-Normal, Ill., on June 26-28.
Douglas came within 6 feet, 1 inch of the pin during the tournament while competing against 38 other golfers in the 10- to 11-year-old boys division.
Douglas is the son of Mark and Yukyong Douglas, of Evans.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.