Parrots, bands and wrestling are all featured in a single Memorial Day weekend event called Birdie Stock.
Created as a fundraiser for Feathered Friends Forever Parrot Rescue, Birdie Stock will be held Friday through Monday at 612 Byrd Drive in Harlem.
The 8-acre parrot sanctuary, run by Ron and Tammy Johnson, will transform into a carnival grounds that will feature a parrot park, petting zoo, children's game area, wrestling ring and a stage for live music.
"We've had barbecues in the past, but this is the first time we're trying anything this size," Mr. Johnson said.
He said he is expecting between 10,000 and 15,000 visitors to his sanctuary.
The sanctuary features about 500 parrots representing more than 30 species, many endangered.
All of the parrots will be available for viewing, but none will be sold or adopted out, Mr. Johnson said.
About 98 percent of the birds are permanent residents of the sanctuary. The other 2 percent would be adopted out only to trained parrot owners, he said.
Most of the parrots that have ended up in the Johnson's care were given up by owners who didn't understand what they were getting into when they purchased them, Mr. Johnson said.
"They're like having a permanent 3-year-old child," he said.
Much of Birdie Stock will be dedicated to lectures conducted by the Johnsons and other pet experts on birds and dogs.
"There's a lot of fun to be had, but this is about education," Mr. Johnson said.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.