As reported 48 years ago in the pages of The Columbia News, Thursday, May 9, 1957:
On April 29, 1957, approximately 250 pupils vacated Pollard, Jerusalem and Central schools to merge into George T. White Elementary School for Negroes.
The new school consists of seven classrooms, a cafetorium, kitchen, clinic, teachers' lounge, principal's office, waiting room, restrooms and a library which is presently being used as a classroom.
The faculty of the school includes Venola Lee Hill, Jessie Miller, Alma Jennings, Delilah Lampkin, Elzeda Randolph, Rev. George Wingfield, Etoy Harris and Mary Sanders, principal.
Columbia and McDuffie counties are the only counties in the 10th District that show a net gain in population since the census of 1940.
The census of 1950 shows that Columbia County's population increased from 9,433 to 10,900, while McDuffie County's population rose from 10,878 to 11,900.
Neighboring counties show a net loss. Lincoln County, for example, dropped from 7,042 to 6,100 between 1940 and 1950; Wilkes from 15,084 to 10,800; Taliaferro from 6,278 to 3,400; and Warren from 10,236 to 7,900.
Honor grads named
Miss Helen Brown of Ap-pling Elementary School has been chosen valedictorian of the graduating class of 1957.
Chosen as salutatorian is Miss Patricia Reed.
These young ladies, having completed the seventh grade in the Appling School, will be entering high school in the fall term.
Brown is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Mac Brown, and Reed is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Reed.
- Army STC Rufus B. Buler, son of Mr. and Mrs. Pierce Butler, of Grovetown, recently qualified as expert in firing the M1 rifle in Korea.
- Army Pvt. Hazel B. Gracey, son of Mrs. and Mrs. W.F. Gracey, of Grovetown, recently graduated from the Military Police Training Center at Fort Gordon. The 19-year-old soldier is a 1955 graduate of Harlem High School.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.