Next month, some of the area's top basketball players will participate in the sixth annual CSRA Middle and High School All-Star Games.
The event has become one of the premier sporting events in the Augusta area. The middle school games feature the best eighth-graders from McDuffie, Burke, Richmond and Columbia counties, while the high school games pit the top CSRA seniors from Georgia against the best from South Carolina.
Columbia County players have had a good track record in this event in recent years. Former Greenbrier Star Eric Marshall drew rave reviews from college coaches two years ago as he scored 10 points, grabbed five rebounds and dished out four assists.
Last year Matt Scott of Lakeside garnered MVP honors as he poured in a game-high 17 points in a Georgia victory.
This year only one high school player from Columbia County was selected to play. Lakeside's ultra-quick point guard Earl McCromman will suit up for Team Georgia. The sharpshooter averaged 22 points this season. No girls from Columbia County were chosen.
While only one high schooler from the county was recognized, the middle school game is loaded with Columbia County players. A record 15 eighth-graders will participate in the Middle School Games. This should get area fans excited about the future of hoops in Columbia County. Below is a list of the middle school players and additional info about the event.
Middle School Boys
- Brad Glover (Lakeside) 6-0 Forward - 15.6 points and 10 rebounds
- C.J. Marshall (Lakeside) 5-9 Guard - 14 points and four steals
- Bryan Andrews (Riverside) 5-9 PG - 14.9 points and 5.3 steals
- Horace Carney (Riverside) 5-8 Guard 11.3 points and 4.6 rebounds
- Brandon McCladdie (Evans) 5-11 Guard - Offensive MVP
- Reuben Faloughi (Evans) 6-2 Center - Great Rebounder
- Cedric Boatman (Grovetown) 5-9 Guard - 12 points
- Edmund Jones (Grovetown) 5-10 Forward - 6 points and 12 rebounds
Middle School Girls
- Nicole Wells (Grovetown) 5-11 F/C - 10 points and 11 rebounds
- Rachel Kennedy (Grovetown) 5-11 Forward - 8.1 points and 11 rebounds
- Shelby Real (Riverside) 5-4 PG - 10.6 points and 2.5 steals
- Allianna Husle (Riverside) 5-6 G/F - 6 points and 5 assists
- Mya Antoine (Greenbrier) 5-3 Guard - Team was 12-1
- Genessa Choice (Greenbrier) 5-2 Guard - Team was 12-1
- Caitlin Kupar (Greenbrier) 5-6 Forward - Team was 12-1
CSRA Middle & High School All-Star Games
Date - Saturday April 16
Girls Middle School 1:30 p.m.
Boys Middle School 3:30 p.m.
Girls High School 5:30 p.m.
Boys High School 7:30 p.m.
Where - Augusta State University's Christenberry Fieldhouse
TV coverage - Comcast will tape the high school games to air the week after the games. Times to be announced.
Other events - Dunk Contest at halftime of the Boys High School game
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.