The following accounts were taken from reports filed with the Columbia County Sheriff's Office.
Realty office shot
A builder for an Appling realty company told police Friday that someone shot at the building.
John Baxter DeFoor, a builder for DeFoor Realty, told deputies he arrived at the business at 6430 Ridge Road at about 8:45 Friday morning and discovered someone had shot two 9mm rounds at the building, causing an estimated $500 in damage.
Both rounds penetrated the front exterior siding, striking several walls, doorway trim and cabinets. They appear to have been shot from the road 60 feet from the building, the report states.
One 9mm slug was recovered from the bathroom sink and was taken as evidence, but the other was lodged in a wall and could not be removed, the report states.
A Harlem woman told police Saturday that someone stole a car engine from inside her home.
The 31-year-old woman said she left her Otis Way home Friday evening, and when she returned Saturday afternoon at about 1:30 p.m., she discovered someone had entered her home through the front door, which does not lock because of prior damage, a sheriff's office report states.
The woman, who is moving out of the home, said she found the bathroom shower door had been broken and that a Chevy 350 engine and some parts were taken from a closet in a spare bedroom, the report states.
The manager of a Martinez music store told police Saturday that he saw someone steal a music recorder display model.
Clinton Ward Watts, the manager of Center Stage Music at 3830 Washington Road, told deputies that just after 5:30 p.m. Saturday, he saw a man take a $400 digital recorder from a display case and run out of the store.
Watts said he saw the man run behind the business, the report states.
Trash can burned
A Grovetown man told police Sunday that someone burned his roll-away garbage can.
Thomas F. Gale, of Old Belair Lane, told deputies that sometime Saturday night or early Sunday morning someone set fire to his trash can while it sat behind a large oak tree about 25 yards from the road.
The plastic 75-gallon can was melted except for the metal axle.
The fire scorched several limbs of the tree, but dew kept the fire from spreading to leaves on the ground around the can, the report states.
Gale said his mailbox has been damaged three times in the past two months, but he has no idea who is committing the vandalism, the report stated.
Martinez Fire Department activity report, Jan. 2-8:
Structure fires, two; vehicle fire, one; grass fires, two; controlled burn, one; fire alarms, four; natural gas leak, one; medical calls, 18; rescue calls, eight; investigation, one, and public service, one.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.