Russell Gambrell, a former Lakeside football player, has started at safety at the University of Tennessee Martin for two seasons.
Russell Gambrell played fullback and safety for Lakeside High from 1997 to 2000. He has gone on to the University of Tennessee Martin, where he played as a true freshman and has started at safety the past two seasons. Gambrell, a team captain, led the Skyhawks in tackles in 2003 and is second this season.
1. News-Times: What was the biggest transition from high school football to college football?
Russell Gambrell: "The biggest transition was speed. College football is a lot faster than high school."
2. CNT: What do you need to work on the hardest?
RG: "I really need to work on leadership and improve on footwork and coordination."
3. CNT: What have you missed most about playing high school football?
RG: "Playing both ways. It was fun to be on the field constantly."
4. CNT: What is there to do in Martin, Tenn.?
RG: "Nothing but football during the season. In the offseason, we work out. The only time you're done playing football is when your eligibility is up."
5. CNT: What is better, a big hit or an interception?
RG: "A big hit is better. It gets the crowd into and the team into it."
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.