You could say Greenbrier High School's band has got brass.
Five of its members recently were named to the Georgia Music Educators Association 2004 All-State Band. Three of them were trombone players, one showed his mastery of the tuba and another the euphonium. For Greenbrier band director Tom Smallwood, it will be his largest all-state contingency ever.
"It's an outstanding accomplishment. It's difficult for them to make the All-State Band, especially going up against kids from Atlanta," he said. "They have a few more resources for private lessons, and things like that, that we don't have here. A lot of them also start beginning band in third and fourth grade, whereas we start in sixth grade, which gives them a couple of years' advantage."
The Greenbrier musicians were among 13 high schoolers from the area tapped to perform in the honor bands. Evans High had four, Lakeside and Harlem each had one and Augusta Christian had two.
They competed against about 1,100 students who withstood a rigorous audition for a slot in the honor band. Columbia County students first had to make it through the district-level auditions, which were at Greenbrier High on Jan. 10, to qualify for the second round of auditions, which were Feb. 14 in Perry, Ga. The students will go to All-State on April 29, 30 and May 1 in Savannah.
Students from the area named to All-State include:
GMEA All-State Concert Band, Scott Stewart, conductor
* Andy House, Augusta Christian, trumpet
* Arthur Moore, Greenbrier High, trombone
* Sara Chang, Greenbrier High, trombone
GMEA All-State Symphonic Band, Col. Lowell Graham, conductor
* Janki Chudgar, Lakeside High, flute
* Jennifer Stein, Greenbrier High, euphonium
GMEA All-State Symphonic Band, Frank Ticheli, conductor
* Sara Newman, Harlem High, flute
* Jennifer Nelson, Evans High, oboe
* Andy Ramia, Greenbrier High, trombone
GMEA all-state 11-12 orchestra
Winds and percussion
* Matt Youmans, Evans High, French horn
* Wes Roberts, Evans High, bass trombone
GMEA All-State 9-10 Alternates
* Kyle Knab, Evans High, tuba
GMEA All-State 11-12 alternates
* Sarah Stout, Augusta Christian, euphonium
* Charlie Hunter, Greenbrier High, tuba
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.