A Christmas Carol? Nah.
The Nutcracker? Not exactly.
Students in Harlem High School's first- and second-period creative dramatics classes will present Pom Pom Zombies at 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday. The play is a science-fiction spoof of the beach-blanket movies of the 1960s.
Photo by Jim Blaylock
Area residents have come to expect a little more action from Harlem High School Drama Teacher Roy Lewis, and this year he will deliver with a holiday presentation of Pom-Pom Zombies.
Presented by the school's first and second period creative dramatics classes, performances are scheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday. Tickets are $5.
"I thought it was a good way to culminate all the basic skills we've been working on in drama classes, and it just fell that way," Lewis said, "so we've been billing it as a holiday play. After all, we like to offer our public something a little different."
Set in the 1960's, Pom-Pom Zombies is a nuclear blast to the past. School's out for the summer and the teenagers of Ocean View High are ready to surf, sun and have some fun.
Their favorite hangout is Barnacle Betty's Surf Club, which happens to be right next door to the evil Ivana Ratnik's nuclear power plant. But Cindy Sue, the head cheerleader, accidentally gets some nuclear slime on her hot dog instead of pickle relish, and soon the beach is overrun with pom-pom wielding zombies.
Her all-American boyfriend, the beatniks, the nerds and a tough girl-gang named the Barracudas rally their forces to save the beach from atomic attackers. The play is a science-fiction spoof of those beach blanket flicks of the 1960's.
Characters and cast members include:
* Cindy Sue: Kim Cottingham, Carol Kosky
* Roger: Scott Harmon, Toby Forbes
* Weenie: Carmen Marceno, Marcie Wingo
* Melvin: Theo Miller, Chris Cliett
* Ivana: Tiffany Umlauf, Amber Lowe
* Betty: Aaron Heath, Nicole Ashworth
* Zeke: Paul Taylor, Kevin Horsely
* Pandora: Kassi Campbell, Megan Fox
* Wanda: Brittany Matthews, Hollie Turner
* Laverne: Dana Thorton, Celena Germany
* Shirley: April Smith, Lori Mullis
* Moose: Joey Shiver, Ben Hill
* Spike: Christy McCord, Samantha Nacci
* Proton: Thomas Fonville, Thomas Pease
* Neutron: Daryl Jones, Mike McEnery
* Muffy: Cenise Norman, Sara Zimmerman
* Betsy: Meagan Edwards, Michele Borror
* Paisley: Sarah Harrington
* Nebraska: Barrett Davis, Jessica McNeely
* Myron: Javier Nunez, Yo Yo Vileza
* Grunt: George Fagan, Marcie Eidenier
* Weasel: Brittany Dailey
* Monroe: Susan Nacci
* Slick: Miranda Chadwick
* Waldo: Josh Burt
* Pickle: Charlie Sanders, Tasha Rogers, Cody Wilkerson, LaQuita Jennings, Amber Klein.
For more information, point your browser to www.harlemdrama.com.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.