As reported in The Columbia News 46 years ago, Nov. 10, 1955
Evans student lose only three days when school burns
More than three weeks have passed since the main building of the Evans school, containing most of our classrooms, the auditorium, office and library, burned to the ground in a pre-dawn fire on Oct. 11.
These weeks have been filled with rapid action on the part of school officials, faculty, trustees - in fact, all of the community. On Oct. 11, Mr. Davis met with county school officials to discuss what could be done to find classrooms and materials for reopening school promptly. the whole community responded with offers of private homes; government officials offered facilities and the church buildings were placed at our disposal.
State asked to expedite Evans school
The Columbia County Board of Education has appealed to the State School Building Authority to expedite the construction of the Evans school, which is a part of the countywide school building program for Columbia County.
The old Evans Public School building was destroyed by fire on Oct. 11, leaving approximately 659 white pupils without adequate facilities.
A resolution passed by the board on Oct. 11 following the blaze pointed out the urgent need for the new Evans school and asked the State School Building Authority to give special preference to the letting and construction of the new school unit proposed for the Evans School District.
Trinity Church is consecrated
On Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock, Nov. 6, 1955, a large congregation, made up of worshippers of all denominations, assembled at Trinity Episcopal Church in Harlem for the Consecration Ceremony and the Order of Confirmation.
This was a red-letter day for the communicants of the local church, when through strong faith and loyal service, they have attained the goal of an Episcopal church in Harlem to minister to Episcopalians in the town and in the surrounding area.
No effort and sacrifice have been too great. They have been assisted by the Diocese of Georgia and the National Diocese of the Episcopal Church, by Rev. Allen D. Clarkson, priest in charge of the Church of The Good Shepherd in Augusta, by Edward Shirley, seminary student, the local Episcopalians, those from Thomson, St. Albans Church in Augusta and their priest, the Rev. George C. Baxter, who is serving the local church, as well as by the many friends who have felt a keen interest in the accomplishment.
Talmadge will address Lions
Herman Talmadge will speak at the celebration of the 20th anniversary of Harlem Camp 1406 of the Woodmen of th World on Nov. 17 at 8 p.m. at Harlem High School.
According to K.L. Moore, consul commander of the Harlem Camp, an oyster supper will be served at 7 p.m. in the high school lunchroom to members of the Woodmen organization and their families. The speaking, which follows, will be open to the public.
The Columbia County News-Times ©2013. All Rights Reserved.