On Jan. 11 at Laney High School, 72 of the top senior football players in the area will participate in the innaugural Border Bowl.
The game pits the CSRA’s best players from South Carolina against the best Georgia has to offer in an all-star game to cap off the prep careers of these talented young men. Area coaches nominated their players and that list was narrowed down to the top 36 on both sides of the river.
The game was created by WJBF News Channel 6, and they have partnered with The Augusta Chronicle. Proceeds from the game benefit Ronald McDonald House Charities.
Columbia County will be very well represented in the game. Lakeside’s Jarrett Troxler has been chosen as the head coach for Team Georgia and several other coaches from the county will be a part of his staff. Also, 11 of the 36 players suiting up for Team Georgia played at Columbia County schools. Here is a list of the players from Columbia County who have been selected to play in Border Bowl I.
• Jonquell Jones (LB) 96 Tackles, including nine for a loss. First Team All-Region and All-County
• Stephon Jacobs (LB/RB) Superb athlete with immense talent on either side of the ball.
• K’Lon Lovett (DB/WR) First Team All-County and All-Region. Had 25 catches on offense and was outstanding in the Knights Secondary.
• David Mims (DB) 90 tackels, seven tackles for loss and two interceptions for the 6-0, 190-pound Mims in 2013.
Malcolm Thomas (DE/RB) Physical specimen that can be a game changer.
Donavan Davis (DE) Excellent pass rusher. Second Team All-Region. Had 40 tackles, including eight tackles for loss in 2013.
Mason McDaniel (DB) McDaniel topped Harlem with 105 tackles and also led the area with seven interceptions. First Team All-County.
• Hunter Banks (QB) First Team All-County. Threw for over 1,600 yards and 16 TDs in 2013.
• Daniel Cotty (LB) Tough as nails LB that earned 1st Team All-County and All-Region after amassing 80 tackles in 2013.
• Forrest Nanney (WR) Caught 18 passes for 296 yards and four TDs in 2013.
• Kendall White (DL) Committed to Western Carolina. 75 tackles, nine tackles for a loss, and four sacks. First Team All-County and All-Region pick.
The game kicks off at 1 p.m. Jan. 11 and will be broadcast live on WJBF-TV (Channel 6). Tickets are on sale and can be purchased online at www.wjbf.com or at all Georgia Bank and Trust and Southern Bank and Trust locations.
For more, go to
www.wjbf.com or www.augustachronicle.com.