Everybody has a different opinion about what is beautiful and what is not. Here are some of my favorite things.
1. The way my back yard smells after a summer rain.
2. The way a new father holds his child. There’s just something about that look in his eyes. It’s as if he’s holding a miracle that might break at any minute. And he’s right. It is a miracle.
3. A child playing with a new puppy and watching their interactions for the first time.
4. A teenager playing with that same dog after several years and realizing that the love has grown.
5. The way my house smells after a good cleaning.
6. The look on a child’s face the first time they go to Disney World.
7. A really good book that holds your attention from front to back.
8. The feeling I get after cleaning up one of my two junk rooms. Trust me; that doesn’t happen very often.
9. Seeing an elderly couple walking down the street holding hands. That’s another thing I miss about not having Jay around.
10. The way wet sand feels under your feet at the beach.
11. The way my family has never been afraid of showing emotion in public. I never go without a hug and an “I love you granny” or “I love you mom” when we see each other.
12. The few times my computer goes online in less than 20 seconds. I don’t know the technicalities. All I know is to punch the right key.
13. Knowing that my house is paid for and never having to go through foreclosure like so many others in America these days.
14. Being able to get into a pair of jeans I couldn’t wear last month. As in No. 8, that doesn’t happen often.
15. I am extremely happy for the love and support of family and friends during the past five years. I don’t know what I would do without them.
Like me, I’m sure you have favorite things. Take time out to think about them. Who knows; it might lift you out of that “funk” we all get now and then.
(Pat Fickle is a Martinez resident.)