The 2014 Miss Augusta and Miss Savannah River Pageant will be held at Greenbrier High School at 2 p.m. today. The competition will feature swimwear, evening, talent and onstage questions.
The winners will represent our community at the 2014 Miss Georgia pageant in Columbus in June. Tickets are available at the door. For more information, e-mail email@example.com.
The CSRA Writers group meets on third Mondays. This month, because of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, the group will meet at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 13 at Georgia Military College on Davis Road in Martinez. All are invited to attend. For more information, call Steve Fox at (706) 836-7315.
The Alzheimer’s Association is offering a three-part educational series specifically designed to target the needs of early-stage Alzheimer’s caregivers. The Living With Alzheimer’s: for Caregivers – Early-Stage, will be held on Tuesdays, Jan. 14, 21 and 28, 2-3:30 p.m. at the Alzheimer’s Association, 106 SRP Drive, Suite A, Evans.
It will highlight the special needs and concerns of Alzheimer’s caregivers in the earliest stage of diagnosis. During the program, the Alzheimer’s Association will provide insight on topics such as the meaning of the diagnosis, planning for the future, available resources, and how you can help a family suffering from this disease.
Civil War group
The Civil War Roundtable of Augusta meets Jan. 20 at Goodwill’s Snelling Center on Furys Ferry Road. Karen Stokes, author and archivist for the South Carolina Historical Society, will present “The Immortal 600: Surviving Civil War Charleston and Savannah.” Dinner at 6 p.m., followed by program at 6:45 p.m. For more information, call roundtable president Gwen Fulcher Young at (706) 736-2909.
The Savannah River Woodturners’ meeting will be held 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 18 at 144 N. Belair Rd in Evans, GA. Lee Carey will demonstrate A Foundation Course in Bowl Turning. For additional information, contact Lee Carey, (706) 627-8373.
Sierra Club meets
The Sierra Club will meet Tuesday, Jan. 21, at 6:30 p.m. in the meeting room, Unitarian Universalist Church, 3501 Walton Way Ext. Matthew Kelly of Honey Creek Mushrooms will discuss the role of mushrooms in cuisine, medicine, and ecology. Open to the public, no charge. For more information contact Judy Gordon, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Columbia County Republican Party will hold a breakfast meeting at 9 a.m., Saturday Jan. 25 at The Garlic Clove, 4534 Washington Road, Evans. The guest speakers are State Rep. Barry Fleming and Nancy Gay from the Columbia County Board of Elections. Breakfast is $8.
The Augusta Archaeological Society will meet at 8 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 30, at Big Daddy’s Bar and Grill, 4045 Jimmie Dyes Parkway. Archaeologist Kara Bridgman Sweeney will discuss the typology of Early Archaic side notched projectile points and Edgefield Scrapers.
Shepeard Community Blood Center is sponsoring the following blood drives:
• Church of Our Savior, 4227 Columbia Road, Martinez, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Sunday, Jan. 12.
• Milton Ruben Chevrolet, 3514 Washington Road, Martinez, 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 18.
• Earth Fare, 368 Furys Ferry Road, Martinez, noon to 4 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 18
• Wesley United Methodist Church, 825 N. Belair Road, Evans, 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Sunday, Jan. 19.
• Mosaic United Methodist Church, 478 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans, 9 a.m.to 1 p.m., Sunday, Jan. 19.
• Journey Community Church, 4798 Hardy McManus Road, Evans, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Sunday, Jan. 26.
Mosaic United Methodist Church’s Celebrate Recovery program holds weekly sessions at the church, 678 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. The women’s group meets at 6:30 p.m. and the men’s group at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays. A Men’s Accountability group meets at 8 p.m. Mondays. Call (706) 877-6468, or go to www.mosaicumc.org.
The Leah High School and Community Museum, located at the Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue station at 3653 Ray Owens Road in Appling, is open from 2-5 p.m. on second Sundays, or Tuesdays by appointment. Donations of archival and historical material are being sought. Call (706) 541-0043.
The Columbia County Choral Society needs singers. Rehearsals are at First Baptist Church of Evans. Call (706) 650-2311 or go to www.ccchoralsociety.org.
An ostomy support group meets at 6 p.m. on second Mondays at Barney’s Pharmacy on Peach Orchard Road. Call (706) 798-5645
The Marine Corps League Riverfront Marines Detachment 2 meets on second Thursdays at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 1002 Carolina Ave., North Augusta, with dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7 p.m.
Augusta Christian Singles meets at the Ballroom Dance Center, 525 Grand Slam Drive, off Evans-to-Locks Road, from 7-11 p.m. Saturdays. Cost is $8 for members, $10 for guests. Call Barbara Nash at (803) 640-2075.
The Columbia County Orchestra meets weekly. Musicians needed. For more, go to www.columbiacco.org
Columbia County Youth meets weekly. Musicians needed. For more, go to www. columbiacco.org
Fort Gordon’s Survivor Outreach Services, for families of deceased soldiers, is available at (706) 787-4767 or www.myarmyonesource.com.
The Women’s Veterans Club meets at 11 a.m. the first Saturday of each month. Dues cost $24 per year. Call April Starks at (706) 868-5601 for more information.
The Grovetown Lions Club offers financial assistance for qualifying Grovetown residents to purchase eyeglasses. Write to Grovetown Lions Club Eyeglass Program, P.O. Box 248, Grovetown, GA 30813.
• The Grovetown Senior Center is seeking volunteer drivers to deliver meals to shut-ins. Call (706) 210-8699.
• Regency Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. Call Nancy Browning at (706) 868-4422.
• Golden Harvest Food Bank is seeking volunteers to help sort donations in the warehouse. Call (706) 736-1199.
• Safe Kids East Central Georgia is seeking volunteers to help with events such as car-seat and bicycle checks, and to lead programs that teach safety to children and teens. Training is provided by Safe Kids. Call (706) 721-7606.
• Volunteer opportunities are available at the Columbia County Library in Evans. Call (706) 863-1946, or e-mail email@example.com.
• The American Cancer Society’s Augusta chapter is seeking drivers for its Road to Recovery program, which provides transportation to cancer patients. Call (706) 731-9900.
Doctors Hospital offers a variety of classes each month. Call (706) 651-2450, or go to www.doctors-hospital.net.
The Georgia Forestry Commission, Columbia County Unit, offers advice to Columbia County residents on whether their homes would be in danger from brush or wildfires. Call (706)
Celebrate Recovery meets at 7 p.m. Tuesdays at The Sanctuary Church, 302 Byrd Road, Evans. Call (706) 421-0089.
Columbia County Cares Food Pantry is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. 1959 Appling Harlem Highway, Appling. Call (706) 541-2834.
School Council meetings
River Ridge Elementary
Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2014
Tuesday, April 29, 2014