Free cab rides
Bradford Health Services is offering a Free Ride Home during the holiday season. Staff and patrons at restaurants, bars and lounges can call for a ride home for anyone too impaired to drive.
This free community service is available through Dec. 31 for adults 21 and older. Bradford’s Free Ride Home will be provided within a 30-mile radius. For more information, call (706) 854-1126 or (800) 333-1865.
Pet supply drive
The Kibble for Kritters program collects donated items to assist local pet rescue and humane society organizations. Items needed include: dry and canned dog, puppy and cat food, kitty litter, pet treats, cat and dog beds, bowls, collars, leashes and other items.
Drop-off points are at Baymont Inn & Suites/Augusta Riverwatch, 2905 Riverwest Dr., Augusta, for the CSRA Humane Society; and Best Western Evans Hotel, 452 Park West Dr., Evans, for Columbia County Animal Rescue, Southern Souls Animal Rescue and Columbia County Humane Society.
Mosaic United Methodist Church’s Celebrate Recovery program holds weekly sessions at the church, 678 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. The women’s group meets at 6:30 p.m. and the men’s group meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays. A Men’s Accountability group meets at 8 p.m. Mondays. Call (706) 877-6468, or go to www.
The Watson-Brown Foundation Inc. is accepting scholarship applications for 2014-2015 awards. One of the region’s largest scholarship programs, the foundation will award 200 scholarships of up to $5,000 for 2014-2015.
To be eligible, students must be from certain counties in Georgia and South Carolina and plan to attend any four-year, accredited college in the country. The scholarship application deadline is Feb. 15. Details, including the online application, may be found at www.watson-brown.org/scholarship.
Two Alzheimer’s caregiver support groups meet in Columbia County.
• Alzheimer’s Association, 106 SRP Drive, Evans: 6:30 p.m., second Tuesday each month. Call (706) 860-4599.
• Brandon Wilde, 4275 Owens Road: 6:30 p.m., third Tuesday each month. Call (706) 854-3519.
The Marine Corps League Riverfront Marines Detachment 2 meets on second Thursdays at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 1002 Carolina Ave., North Augusta, with dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7 p.m.
Augusta Christian Singles meets at the Ballroom Dance Center, 525 Grand Slam Drive, off Evans-to-Locks Road, from 7-11 p.m. Saturdays. Cost is $8 for members, $10 for guests. Call Barbara Nash at (803) 640-2075.
The Columbia County Orchestra meets weekly. Musicians needed. For more, go to www.
Columbia County Youth meets weekly. Musicians needed. For more, go to www.
Fort Gordon’s Survivor Outreach Services, for families of deceased soldiers, is available at (706) 787-4767 or www.myarmyonesource.com.
The Women’s Veterans Club meets at 11 a.m. the first Saturday of each month. Dues cost $24 per year. Call April Starks at (706) 868-5601 for more information.
The Grovetown Lions Club offers financial assistance for qualifying
Grovetown residents to buy eyeglasses. Write to Grovetown Lions Club Eyeglass Program, P.O. Box 248, Grovetown, GA 30813.
• The Grovetown Senior Center is seeking volunteer drivers to deliver meals to shut-ins. Call (706) 210-8699.
• Regency Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. Call Nancy Browning at (706) 868-4422.
• Golden Harvest Food Bank is seeking volunteers to help sort donations in the warehouse. Call (706) 736-1199.
• Safe Kids East Cen-tral Georgia is seeking volunteers to help with events such as car-seat and bicycle checks, and to lead programs that teach safety to children and teens. Training is provided. Call (706) 721-7606.
• Volunteer opportunities are available at the Columbia County Library in Evans. Call (706) 863-1946, or e-mail email@example.com.
• The American Cancer Society’s Augusta chapter is seeking drivers for its Road to Recovery program, which provides transportation to cancer patients. Call (706) 731-9900.
Doctors Hospital offers a variety of classes each month. Call (706)
651-2450, or go to www.doctors-hospital.net.
The Georgia Forestry Commission, Columbia County Unit, offers advice to Columbia County residents on whether their homes would be in danger from brush or wildfires. Call (706) 556-3962.
Celebrate Recovery meets at 7 p.m. Tuesdays at The Sanctuary Church, 302 Byrd Road, Evans. Call (706) 421-0089.
Columbia County Cares Food Pantry is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. 1959 Appling Harlem Highway, Appling. Call (706) 541-2834.
School Council meetings
River Ridge Elementary
Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2014
Tuesday, April 29, 2014