• During May, Cub Scout Pack 122 receives $4 for each $9.99 or higher car wash at Sparkle Express on Belair Road for customers using code 4060.
• During June, Boy Scout Pack 122 will receive $3 for any $9.99 or higher car was at Sparkle Express on Belair Road for customers using code 4041. Scouts will be at the car wash June 1.
• Boy Scout Troop 686 will hold a yard sale 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 1 at Grace Baptist Church on Hardy McManus Road in Evans.
The Evans Towne Farmers Market is held 4:30-7 p.m. each Thursday through June at the Columbia County Library. Go to www.evanstownefarmers
market.com to learn more.
Entries are being accepted through today, May 19 for the annual Hattie Mae Marshall Scholarship Talent Show, to be held at 5 p.m. June 15 at Greenbrier High School. Entry fee for competitors is $5, and admission at the door costs $5. Call Rebecca Edwards at (678)
Shepeard Community Blood Center will hold blood drives from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. today, May 19 at Journey Community Church, 4798 Hardy McManus Road, Evans; 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. today, May 19 at Wesley United Methodist Church, 825 North Belair Road, Evans; and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 31 at the Army Career Center, 4446 Washington Road, Evans. Go to www.shepeardblood.org.
The Watson-Brown Foundation is accepting applications from CSRA high school students for its 2013-14 Junior Board. Go to www.hickory-hill.org and click on the Junior Board tab, or email Michelle Zupan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CSRA Writers will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, May 20 at Georgia Military College, 115 Davis Road. Call Steve Fox at (706) 836-7315.
Information about hiking and camping in the Augusta area will be presented at the Sierra Club meeting, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 21 at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Augusta on Walton Way Extension. Email Judy Gordon at email@example.com.
Columbia County Tax Commissioner Kay Allen will be the speaker at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, May 25, for the Columbia County Republican Party Breakfast at Fatz Cafe in Evans. Cost is $7.
A barbecue fundraiser and raffle to benefit a local mother of five with breast cancer will be held 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 27 on McCormick Road off Old Evans Road. Call (706) 399-7791.
Evangelist David McDonald will be the speaker for the Augusta Day Aglow meeting at 10 a.m. May 28 at the Springlakes Clubhouse, 104 Springlakes Drive, Martinez. Call (706) 925-7154, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A caregiver panel will give presentations at 6 p.m. May 28 at the CSRA Parkinson Support Group in the St. John Towers dining room, 724 Greene St., Augusta. Call (706) 364-1662.
Barbecue pork loins will be sold 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 8 at Harlem Baptist Church to help pay medical expenses of Johnny Morris, a liver transplant recipient. Preorder by calling (706) 56-6439, or email email@example.com.
The CSRA Beagle Club will hold its 14th annual Barbecue and Trade Day 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 8 at the Winfield Community Center. Call Ricky Peace at (706) 294-6260, or email Chuck Terry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The inaugural Menus, Food, Fun and Music Festival will be held June 14-15 at Evans Town Center Park, with gates opening 5 p.m. June 14 for a concert featuring Marshall Tucker Band, and starting noon June 15 with local performers and culinary competition from local restaurants. Tickets cost $20 in advance for the Friday show, free for Saturday, with proceeds benefiting the Jenny Clark Scholarship Fund. Tickets are available at Fatz Cafe in Evans, or call (706) 830-0677.
• Applications are available for the need-based Barbara C. Beazley Memorial Scholarship for Columbia County residents up to age 22. Applications are available at high schools or by clicking “programs” at www.ccfchildren.com. Deadline is June 17.
• Female high school seniors who attend a Columbia County school and plan to major in teaching starting this fall can apply for a $1,000 scholarship from Gamma Delta. Email email@example.com.
• The Evans High School classes of 1981-85 will hold a reunion from 7-11 p.m. June 22 at Be My Guest Catering and Events. Go to www.ehs828384reunion.com.
• The Lakeside High School class of 1993 will celebrate its 20th reunion the weekend of Nov. 4. Submit contact information to lakeside
firstname.lastname@example.org, or find the group on Facebook.
Applications are being accepted for the Fort Gordon and Community Credit Union 2013-14 Youth Advisory Board, open to high-school students with a minimum 3.0 GPA. Applications are available at the Martinez and Fort Gordon branches, or at www.fgccu.org/youth.php.
• Kingdom Learning Academy, 4804 Technology Drive, Martinez, will accept applications for its summer enrichment program through June 3. Call Dora Webb at (706) 691-4967.
• Gospel Water Branch Baptist Church, 703 Furys Ferry Road, Evans, will hold a summer enrichment program for ages 4-14 May 28-July 19. Call (706) 860-7091.
• Evans Christian Academy will offer summer classes in math, science and English starting June 3. Call (706) 364-3565 or go to www.evanschristianacademy.org.
Mosaic United Methodist Church, 478 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans, will hold a worship event, “Home: Now and Forever,” from 7-8:30 p.m. July 25 and Oct. 24. Contact Cindy Wilkinson at (706) 373-2984, or email@example.com.
The Columbia County Choral Society rehearses at 7 p.m. each Tuesday at First Baptist Church of Evans. Newcomers are invited. Call (706) 868-7294, or go to www.ccchoralsociety.org.
The Columbia County Exchange Club meets at 8 a.m. Thursdays at Be My Guest, 4216 Washington Road, Evans. Go to www.columbiacountyexchange.com.
Donations are being sought for the nonprofit Friends of the Grovetown Library/Media Center. Send checks to P.O. Box 864, Grovetown, Ga., 30813. Call (706) 863-1867.
Goodwill Industries is seeking volunteers for all areas of the organization. Call Amy Breitmann at (706) 564-4521.
The Fraternal Order of Elks, off Furys Ferry Road, Martinez, holds a dance each Friday from 7-11 p.m. Cost is $8, with the third Friday Elks dance $35 per couple. Call (706) 860-3232.
• CareSouth Hospice, 231 Furys Ferry Road, Suite 212, Martinez, is seeking hospice volunteers. Training is provided. Call (706) 550-9966 to register.
• Alliance Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. Call Rick Boland at (706) 447-2461, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Healthy Heart Club, a series of cardiac health classes presented by Medical Center West Pharmacy and Warren Baptist Church, are offered from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesdays in room D103 at Warren Baptist Church, 3203 Washington Road. The classes are free. For more information, call Kyle Pulliam at (706) 854-2424.
The Hearing Loss Association of Augusta meets at 5:30 p.m. on the third Monday of each month in Dining Rooms 1-6 at University Hospital. E mail Gayle Tison at email@example.com.
Evans Christian Academy, 213 South Old Belair Road, holds Zumba classes from 6:15-7:16 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays. Call (706) 354-3565.
Mosaic United Methodist Church and Christ the King Lutheran Church, on Industrial Park Drive at Evans-to-Locks Road, offer free services including food, medical screening, free haircuts, GED sign-ups and job resources to community residents in need on third Saturdays each month. Call (706) 650-9187.
The Southeastern Firefighters Burn Foundation Burn Survivors Support Group meets at 2 p.m. on the second Wednesday of each month at the foundation office, 3614 J. Dewey Gray Circle, Building C., Augusta. Call 1 (800) 650-BURN, or go to www.sfbf.net.
• Marvin Methodist Preschool, 4400 Wheeler Road, Martinez offers preschool for 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds. Call Ginger Gruba at (706) 868-8877.
• Trinity Baptist Preschool, 4594 Columbia Road, Martinez, offers preschool for 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds. Call Shannon Story at (706) 799-0637.
• Spaces are available at Grace Baptist Preschool, 4945 Hardy McManus Road, Evans, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Call Lisa Wamack at (706) 868-9729.
• Warren Baptist Church holds weekday preschool and mother’s day out classes for ages 1 through pre-K 4. Call (706) 860-6878 or go to www.warrenbaptist.org.
Overeaters Anonymous meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, 3551 Wheeler Road, Augusta, and 1:30 p.m. Saturdays at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 3131 Walton Way, Augusta. Call (706) 541-0580, or e NEWS-TIMES STYLE OMITS THE HYPHEN mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Georgia Health Sciences holds a free weight loss surgery seminar at 7 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month at the Columbia County Library in Evans. Go to www.georgiahealth.org/weightloss, or call (706) 721-2609.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a nonprofit weight-loss support group, meets on the following dates:
• Harlem Baptist Church, 8:45 a.m. Thursdays; (706) 556-3309.
• Grovetown United Methodist Church, 206 E. Robinson Ave., 6 p.m. Thursdays; (706) 863-0726.
• Pine View Baptist Church, 119 Pleasant Home Road, 4:45 p.m. each Tuesday; (706) 863-6525.
The East Georgia Genealogical Society, which encompasses an area that includes Columbia County, meets at 7 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month at the L.D.S. Church, 36 Sims Road, Winder, Ga. Go to www.eastgagenealogy.com.
MOMS Club of Evans is selling cookbooks for $15, with all proceeds supporting Ronald McDonald House of Augusta. E NEWS-TIMES STYLE OMITS THE HYPHEN mail email@example.com.
Best Western Evans Hotel, 452 Park West Drive, off Dyess Parkway, is a donation site for Cell Phones for Soldiers. Go to www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com.
Helping Hands Thrift Store, operated by the Columbia County Foundation for Children at 6347 Columbia Road, Appling, is open Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on first Saturdays.
Three rooms of meeting space are available to community groups at no charge at Mosaic United Methodist Church, 478 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. E NEWS-TIMES STYLE OMITS THE HYPHEN mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (706) 650-9187.
The organization Vets to Washington is seeking World War II vets for three-day, expenses-paid trips to Washington, D.C., to tour the World War II memorial and others in the area. For information or to donate to help provide the trips, call (706) 832-6483, or go to www.vetstowashington.com.
Columbia County Library in Evans needs donations of used books to sell in the Friends of the Library store. Drop off donations at the library, or call Barbara Williams at (706) 863-8760.
The clothes closet at Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road at South Belair Road, is open Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for donations. Clothes are available for those in need. Call (706) 863-0510.
Friends Stepping Up, a nonprofit organization for mildly challenged teens and young adults, meets once a month for activities. For information, parents or guardians should call (706) 771-0087.
USA Dance Chapter 6074 holds monthly dances at the Elks Lodge in Martinez. Call (803) 270-5470 or go to www.augustadancing.org.
Celebrate Recovery meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday evenings at The Sanctuary Church, 302 Byrd Road, Evans. Call (706) 421-0089.
The Leah High School and Community Museum, located at the Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue station at 3653 Ray Owens Road, in Appling, is now open from 10 a.m. to noon on the first Tuesday of each month and on Saturdays by appointment. Donations of archival and historical material still are being sought. Call (706) 541-0043.
The Columbia County Choral Society is open to all singers in the area. Rehearsals are held at First Baptist Church of Evans. Call (706)650-2311 or go to www.ccchoralsociety.org.
The Augusta Elks Club, off Furys Ferry Road in Martinez, holds a dance with a live band each Friday at 8 p.m. Cost is $10 per person. Call (706) 564-1642.
Safe Kids East Central Georgia conducts free child safety child safety seat inspections on the second Wednesday of each month at the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office Substation, 650 Ronald Reagan Drive, Evans. Call (706) 541-3970 or go to www.mcghealth.org.
Hope Soap, a private, nonprofit agency that collects toiletries and packages and distributes them to area shelters, has collection sites in the community. Donations, particularly of personal-size d items from hotels, may be brought to The Columbia County News-Times, in the Publix shopping center on Washington Road, Evans, and Wild Birds Unlimited, West Town Shopping Center, Martinez.
Mosaic United Methodist Church’s Celebrate Recovery program holds weekly group sessions at 7 p.m. each Friday at the church at 678 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. Call (706) 877-6468, or go to www.mosaicumc.org.
The MCG Breast Cancer Support Group meets on the second Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the first-floor community room at the MCGHealth Cancer Center, 1411 Laney-Walker Blvd. Call (706) 721-4109 or go to www.mcghealth.org.
The Columbia County Civic Orchestra holds weekly rehearsals 7:15-9:15 p.m. Mondays in the music suite at West Acres Baptist Church, 555 Gibbs Road, Evans. Returning and new musicians are welcome. The Youth Orchestra holds rehearsals 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays in the Augusta Christian band room, 313 Baston Road. Call Rob Nordan at (706) 860-6573, ext. 114, or go to www.columbiacco.org.
Augusta Christian Singles meets at the Ballroom Dance Center, 525 Grand Slam Drive, off Evans-to-Locks Road, from 7-11 p.m. each Saturday. Cost is $8 for members, $10 for guests. Call Barbara Nash at (803) 640-2075.
The Marine Corps League Riverfront Marines Detachment 1132, meets the second Thursday of each month at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 1002 Carolina Ave., North Augusta, with dinner at 6 p.m. and the meeting at 7 p.m. Contact Paul Brewer at (706) 306-6667 or email@example.com.
An ostomy support group will meets at 6 p.m. on the second Monday of each month at Barney’s Pharmacy on Peach Orchard Road in Augusta. Call (706) 798-5645.
Fort Gordon’s Survivor Outreach Services, for families of deceased soldiers, is available at (706) 787-4767 or at myarmyonesource.com.
Three Alzheimer’s caregiver support groups meet in Columbia County.
• Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church, 5555 Hereford Farm Road: 7 p.m., second Tuesday each month. Call (706) 541-0085 or (706) 541-0185.
• Morningside of Evans, 353 N. Belair Road: 11 a.m., second Saturday each month. Call (706) 228-4709.
• Brandon Wilde, 4275 Owens Road: 7 p.m., third Tuesday each month. Call (706) 854-3519.
The Women’s Veterans Club meets at 11 a.m. the first Saturday of each month. Dues cost $24 per year. Call April Starks at (706) 868-5601.
The Grovetown Lions Club offers financial assistance for qualifying Grovetown individuals in the purchase of eyeglasses. Write to Grovetown Lions Club Eyeglass Program, P.O. Box 248, Grovetown, GA 30813.
• The Grovetown Senior Center is seeking volunteer, licensed drivers with their own vehicles to deliver meals to shut-ins in the Grovetown area. Call (706) 210-8699.
• Regency Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. Call Nancy Browning at (706) 868-4422.
• Golden Harvest Food Bank is seeking volunteers to help sort donations in the warehouse. Call (706) 736-1199.
• Safe Kids East Central Georgia is seeking volunteers to help with events, such as car seat and bicycle checks, and to lead ongoing programs that teach safety to children and teens. Training is provided. Call (706) 721-7606.
• Volunteer opportunities are available at the Columbia County Library in Evans. Call Jessica Thompson at (706) 863-1946, or e NEWS-TIMES STYLE OMITS THE HYPHEN mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The American Cancer Society’s Augusta chapter is seeking volunteer drivers for its Road to Recovery program, which provides transportation to cancer patients. Call (706) 731-9900.
Doctors Hospital offers a variety of classes each month. Call (706) 651-2450, or go to www.doctors-hospital.net.
The Georgia Forestry Commission, Columbia County Unit, offers advice to Columbia County residents on whether their homes would be in danger from brush or wildfires. Call (706) 556-3962.