• Nov. 19 is the deadline for entries in the 47th annual Merchants Association of Columbia County Christmas Parade, to be held Dec. 4. Entry forms are available at www.columbiacountyfair.net.
• Applications are being accepted for the 37th annual Grovetown Christmas Parade, to be held at noon Dec. 3. For information, go to www.cityofgrovetown.com.
Saturday is the deadline for applications to Rotary District 6920 for four non-Rotarian professionals ages 25-40 to travel to Turkey May 2 through June 1. Rotary International provides a round trip plane ticket and local Rotarians provide meals, lodging and travel within the host district. For information, contact Pam Lightsey at email@example.com or (706) 840-2087.
The Lakeside High School Band is holding its annual fruit sale through Thursday, with boxes of Indian River ruby red grapefruit, navel oranges or tangelos available for $17 each. For information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shepheard Blood Center is holding blood drives at the following dates and locations:
Today, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Evans Government Auditorium and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Roads and Bridges in Appling; Sunday, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Wesley United Methodist Church, 825 North Belair Road, Evans; and Nov. 26, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Grovetown Walmart. Go to www.shepeardblood.org.
• Brookwood Elementary School’s Veterans Day activities include a performance of Brookwood Sings America at 7 p.m. Thursday.
• Harlem Middle School’s Veterans Day assembly will be held at 9 a.m. Friday in the gym.
• Augusta’s Veterans Day parade will be held at 10 a.m. Friday, starting at Sacred Heart and ending at the All Wars Monument on Broad and Fourth streets.
The Augusta Children’s Chorale will present its annual “Just Desserts” concert at 7 p.m. Thursday at Sacred Heart Cultural Center. Tickets cost $10 at the door or by calling (706) 826-4718.
See WSA Days
Westminster Schools of Augusta, 3067 Wheeler Road, will hold family tours for prospective students at 9:30 a.m. Friday and Nov. 18. For information, call Aimee Lynch at (706) 731-5260.
Patriotic Voices, portrayals of patriots by actor Bob Rollins, will be held 7:30 p.m. Friday at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church River Room in Augusta. Tickets cost $25, $20 for seniors, and are available by calling (706) 722-7092, ext. 3, or emailing email@example.com. The event benefits the St. Stephens Ministry.
Art After Dark
Art After Dark, the Artists’ Guild of Columbia County’s annual art show and auction, will be held 7-10 p.m. Saturday at Church of the Holy Comforter, 473 Furys Ferry Road, Martinez. Tickets cost $5 and are available at The News-Times office, at www.artistguildcc.org, or at the event. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (706) 814-3549.
The fourth annual Eryn Eubanks and The Family Fold Music Festival will be held noon to 8 p.m. SaturdayNov.12 at the Kroc Center, 1833 Broad St., with music, vendors and barbecue. Admission costs $10, with proceeds benefiting Lynndale, Inc.
Marshall Family Y will hold parent’s night out for children ages 2-12 from 6-9:30 p.m. Saturday. Cost is $10 per child for Family Y members, $15 for non-members, with a discount for additional siblings. To register, go to the Marshall Family Y or online at www.thefamilyy.org.
Evans Christian Academy will hold its fall festival at 7 p.m. Saturday. For information, call (706) 364-3565.
• The Evans High School class of 1987 is seeking classmates for their 25th reunion. Send contact information to email@example.com.
• The Butler High School class of 1981 will hold a 30-year reunion Saturday. Send contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (706) 860-8169.
The Columbia County Board of Elections will hold a voter registration drive 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday at the August Technical College Columbia County Center, 3500 John Huffman Way off Horizon South Parkway, Grovetown.
Mary Caddell will present a program on her travels down the Amazon River in Peru at the November meeting of the Sierra Club, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Unitarian Universalist Church, 3501 Walton Way Extension. For information, contact Judy Gordon at email@example.com.
During November, the owners of Sparkle Express Car Wash, 4393 Washington Road, Evans, will donate a portion of each $9.99 car wash to the Columbia County Foundation for Children when patrons enter code 3016.
• The Grovetown Lions Club is holding its annual fundraising turkey shoot at 7 p.m. each Friday and Saturday night through Dec. 10 at 1200 Old Louisville Road. Contact Gary Rausch at (706) 726-4303 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• VFW Post 6445, 6423 Wrightsboro Road, Harlem, holds weekly turkey shoots at 2 p.m. each Saturday through Dec. 17. For information, call (706) 556-9194.
The AARP Driver Safety Course will be offered free to active-duty military, retirees, veterans, spouses and dependents on Nov. 19 in honor of Veterans Day at 1305 Interstate Parkway in the H2U side entrance. For information, call (706) 651-6719.
• Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road at South Belair Road, will hold its annual craft show Nov. 19. Vendor spaces are available for $25 each. For information, call Margaret at (706) 210-0893, or email email@example.com.
• Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church, Columbia Road at Hereford Farm Road, will hold its Christmas at the Crossroads craft show Dec. 3. Vendor spaces cost $25. For information, call (706) 863-6795, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Vendors are being sought for Baker Place Elementary School’s Breakfast with Santa, to be held 6:30-8:30 p.m. Dec. 8. Vendor spaces cost $25 plus a donated raffle item. For information, call Debbie Reeves at email@example.com.
Samm Fussell will be the guest speaker when the Columbia County Retired Teachers meet at 11 a.m. Nov. 29 at Ryan’s Steakhouse on Bobby Jones Expressway.
Sharon Baptist Church will present its annual Hayride Through the Life of Christ at the Columbia County Fair Grounds, 7-9 p.m. Dec. 8-11. Admission and hot chocolate are free, with nightly musical entertainment.
The Columbia County Choral Society will present A Service of Lessons and Carols at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 9 at First Baptist Church of Evans, Belair Road at Washington Road. Tickets cost $15 for adults and $10 for seniors, students, active duty military and dependents and groups and are available by calling (762) 233-7793 or at www.ccchoralsociety.org.
The Evans chapter of MOMS Club International will hold its fourth annual Preschool and Mom’s Morning Out Fair from 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 28 at First Baptist Church of Augusta. The event is free to the public. Area preschools and mom’s morning out programs wishing to participate are asked to contact the Evans MOMS Club at firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan. 13.
Three rooms of meeting space are available to community groups at no charge at Mosaic United Methodist Church, 478 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. For information, email email@example.com, or call (706) 650-9187.
The organization Vets to Washington is seeking World War II vets for three-day, expense-paid trips to Washington, D.C., to tour the World War II memorial and others in the area. For information or to donate to help provide the trips, call (706) 832-6483, or go to www.vetstowashington.com.
Helping Hands Thrift Store, 6347 Columbia Road is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month. The store is operated by the Columbia County Foundation for Children.
The Columbia County Library in Evans needs donations of used books to sell in the Friends of the Library store. Drop off donations at the library, or call Barbara Williams at (706) 863-8760.
The clothes closet at Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road at South Belair Road, is open Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for donations. Clothes are available for those in need. For information, call (706) 863-0510.
Best Western Evans Hotel, 452 Park West Drive, off Dyess Parkway, is a donation site for Cell Phones for Soldiers. Phones are refurbished and resold, with phone cards sent to deployed soldiers. Phones can be dropped off at any time. For more information, go to www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com.
Friends Stepping Up, a nonprofit organization for mildly challenged teens and young adults, meets once a month for activities. For information, parents or guardians should call (706) 771-0087.
USA Dance Chapter 6074 holds monthly dances at the Elks Lodge in Martinez. For information, call (803) 270-5470 or go to www.augustadancing.org.
Celebrate Recovery meets each Tuesday evening at The Sanctuary Church, 302 Byrd Road, Evans. For information, call Matt Lever at (706) 421-0089.
The Leah High School and Community Museum, located at the Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue station at 3653 Ray Owens Road, in Appling, is now open from 10 a.m. to noon on the first Tuesday of each month and on Saturdays by appointment. Donations of archival and historical material still are being sought. For information, (706) 541-0043.
TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), nonprofit weight-loss support groups, meeting on the following dates:
• Harlem Baptist Church, 9 a.m. each Thursday; (706) 556-3309.
• Grovetown United Methodist Church, 206 E. Robinson Ave., 6 p.m. each Thursday; (706) 863-0726.
• Pine View Baptist Church, 119 Pleasant Home Road, 4:45 p.m. each Tuesday; (706) 863-6525.
The Columbia County Choral Society is open to all singers in the area. Rehearsals are held at First Baptist Church of Evans. For information and a rehearsal schedule, call (706)650-2311 or go to www.ccchoralsociety.org.
The Augusta Elks Club, off Furys Ferry Road in Martinez, holds a dance with a live band each Friday at 8 p.m. Cost is $10 per person. For information, call (706) 564-1642.
Safe Kids East Central Georgia conducts free child safety child safety seat inspections on the second Wednesday of each month at the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office Substation, 650 Ronald Reagan Drive, Evans. For an appointment, call (706) 541-3970 or go to www.mcghealth.org.
Hope Soap, a private, nonprofit agency that collects toiletries and packages and distributes them to area shelters, has collection sites in the community. Donations, particularly of personal-sized items from hotels, may be brought to The Columbia County News-Times, in the Publix shopping center on Washington Road, Evans, and Wild Birds Unlimited, West Town Shopping Center, Martinez.
Mosaic United Methodist Church’s Celebrate Recovery program holds weekly group sessions at 7 p.m. each Friday at the church at 678 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. For information, call (706) 877-6468, or go to www.mosaicumc.org.
The MCG Breast Cancer Support Group meets on the second Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the first-floor community room at the MCGHealth Cancer Center, 1411 Laney-Walker Blvd. For information, call (706) 721-4109 or go to mcghealth.org.
The Columbia County Civic Orchestra holds weekly rehearsals 7:15-9:15 p.m. Mondays in the music suite at West Acres Baptist Church, 555 Gibbs Road, Evans. Returning and new musicians are welcome. The Youth Orchestra holds rehearsals 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays in the Augusta Christian band room, 313 Baston Road. For information, call Rob Nordan at (706) 860-6573, ext. 114, or go to www.columbiacco.org.
Augusta Christian Singles meets at the Ballroom Dance Center, 525 Grand Slam Drive, off Evans-to-Locks Road, from 7-11 p.m. each Saturday. Cost is $8 for members, $10 for guests. For information, call Barbara Nash at (803) 640-2075.
The Helping Hands Thrift Store, operated by Columbia County Foundation for Children at 6347 Columbia Road, is open 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first Saturday each month. For information, call (706) 541-2849.
Warren Baptist Church holds weekday preschool and mother’s day out classes for ages 1 through preK 4. For information, call (706) 860-6878 or go to warrenbaptist.org.
The Marine Corps League Riverfront Marines Detachment 1132, meets the second Thursday of every month at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 1002 Carolina Ave., North Augusta, with dinner at 6 p.m. and the meeting at 7 p.m. For information, contact Paul Brewer at (706) 306-6667 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fort Gordon’s Survivor Outreach Services, for families of deceased soldiers, is available at (706) 787-4767 or at myarmyonesource.com.
The Hearing Loss Association of Augusta meets at 5:30 p.m. on the third Monday each month at Room 100 of the Adult Building of First Baptist Church of Augusta. For information, call Debbie Rish at (706) 650-2496, or e-mail email@example.com.
Three Alzheimer’s caregiver support groups meet in Columbia County.
• Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church, 5555 Hereford Farm Road: 7 p.m., second Tuesday each month. For information, call (706) 541-0085 or (706) 541-0185.
• Morningside of Evans, 353 N. Belair Road: 11 a.m., second Saturday each month. For information, call (706) 228-4709.
• Brandon Wilde, 4275 Owens Road: 7 p.m., third Tuesday each month. For information, call (706) 854-3519.
Spaces are available at the Grace Baptist Preschool, 4945 Hardy McManus Road, Evans. For information, call (706) 868-9729.
The clothes closet in the family life center at Marvin United Methodist Church, Belair at Wheeler Road, is open Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Clothing is free, but donations are welcome.
The Augusta Choral Society (ACS) is seeking new members for its 2010-2011 season. For information, go to www.augustachoralsociety.org or call (706) 826-4713.
The Women’s Veterans Club meets at 11 a.m. the first Saturday of each month. Dues cost $24 per year. For information, call April Starks at (706) 868-5601.
The Grovetown Lions Club offers financial assistance for qualifying Grovetown individuals in the purchase of eyeglasses. For information, write to Grovetown Lions Club Eyeglass Program, P.O. Box 248, Grovetown, GA 30813.
• The Grovetown Senior Center is seeking volunteer, licensed drivers with their own vehicles to deliver meals to shut-ins in the Grovetown area. For information, call (706) 210-8699.
• Regency Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. For information, call Nancy Browning at (706) 868-4422.
• Golden Harvest Food Bank is seeking volunteers to help sort donations in the warehouse. For information, call (706) 736-1199.
• Safe Kids East Central Georgia is seeking volunteers to help with events, such as car seat and bicycle checks, and to lead ongoing programs that teach safety to children and teens. Training is provided. For information, call (706) 721-7606.
• Volunteer opportunities are available at the Columbia County Library in Evans. For information, call Jessica Thompson at (706) 863-1946, or e-mail jthompson@ columbiacountyga.gov.
• The American Cancer Society’s Augusta chapter is seeking volunteer drivers for its Road to Recovery program, which provides transportation to cancer patients. For information, call (706) 731-9900.
• Hospice Care of America is seeking volunteers. For information, call Rick Boland at (706) 447-2626.
Doctors Hospital offers a variety of classes each month. For information on all classes, call (706) 651-2450, or go to www.doctors-hospital.net.
The Georgia Forestry Commission, Columbia County Unit, offers advice to all Columbia County residents on whether their home is in line of fire from brush or wild land fires. For information, call (706) 556-3962.