• Nov. 19 is the deadline for entries in the 47th Annual Merchants Association of Columbia County Christmas Parade, to be held Dec. 4. Information and entry forms are available at www.columbiacountyfair.net.
• Applications are being accepted for the 37th annual Grovetown Christmas Parade, to be held at noon Dec. 3. For information, go to www.cityofgrovetown.com.
Shepheard Blood Center is holding blood drives during October at the following dates and locations: Monday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Retreat Spa and Salon, 4246 Washington Road, Evans; Wednesday, 3-7 p.m., Harlem United Methodist Church; Saturday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Walmart in Grovetown. For information, go to www.shepeardblood.org.
Maj. Jennifer Pugliese, M.D., assistant chief of urology at Eisenhower Army Medical Center, will discuss urinary symptoms of Parkinson patients, at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the St. John Tower Dining Room, 724 Greene St., Augusta. For information, call (706) 365-1622.
Beverly Roberts, Area XII director of the Georgia Retired Educators Association, will be the guest speaker at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the meeting of the Retired Teachers of Columbia County at Ryan’s Steakhouse on Bobby Jones Expressway in Martinez. For information, call (706) 210-4327.
The Greenbrier High School Chorus is holding a raffle for a guitar signed by members of Lady Antebellum and a pair of tickets to the band’s Oct. 28 concert in Evans, with proceeds benefiting the chorus, show choir and guitar classes. Tickets cost $2 and are available until Wednesday from Center Stage Music in West Town or by calling (706) 650-6040, extension 4147 before Thursday.
Dr. Al Goodyear will be the guest speaker when the Augusta Archaeological Society meets at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at T-Bones on Washington Road.
Lakeside High School’s Battle of the Bands will be held at 6 p.m. Friday. Admission costs $5; students under age 13 must be accompanied by an adult. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Proclaimers Quartet of Columbus, Ga., will perform in a free concert at 7 p.m. Friday at Bethesda Baptist Church, 5793 Old Augusta Highway, Harlem. A nursery will be provided. For information, call (706) 556-6818, or go to bethesdabchurch.weebly.com.
Evans Christian Academy will hold an SAT workshop from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. For information, call (706) 364-3565.
The Evans Lions Club will hold a pancake breakfast from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday to benefit the Columbia County Relief Fund. Tickets cost $8 and are available by calling Dan Bernhardt at (706) 210-3718.
• Gospel Water Branch Baptist Church, 703 Furys Ferry Road, Evans, will hold its fall carnival with inflatables, games and a Bible character costume contest 5-8 p.m. Saturday. Witch, monster or devil costumes are discouraged. For information, call (706) 860-7091.
• Harlem United Methodist Church will hold its “Trunks of Treats” Halloween carnival from 6-9 p.m. Saturday, with hay rides, games and costume contests. For information, call (706) 556-6885.
• Sharon Baptist Church will hold its fall carnival from 3-4:30 p.m. Oct. 30 at Winfield Community Center on Cobbham Road, with prizes, games, a cakewalk and a silent acution, followed by the Fifth Sunday Night Sing with the 4 Given Quartet from 5-6:30 p.m. For information call (706) 541 1532.
AngioScreens vascular screening on Doctors Hospital’s Mobile Health Coach will be held 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Oct. 31 at 635 Ronald Reagan Drive, Evans. To register, call (706) 651-4343.
The Corner Pumpkin Patch at Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road at S. Belair Road, is open through Oct. 31 noon-7 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturdays, and 1-6 p.m. Sundays. Call (706) 863-0510, or go to www.marvinchurch.com.
• The Grovetown Lions Club is holding its annual fundraising turkey shoot at 7 p.m. each Friday and Saturday night through Dec. 10 at 1200 Old Louisville Road. Contact Gary Rausch at (706) 726-4303 or email@example.com.
• VFW Post 6445, 6423 Wrightsboro Road, Harlem, holds weekly turkey shoots at 2 p.m. each Saturday through Dec. 17. For information, call (706) 556-9194.
Tickets are available through Nov. 1 for the Greenbrier High School spaghetti dinner fundraiser for NJROTC. Tickets cost $6 for adults, $3 for age 5-under, dine-in or carry-out for the dinner to be held 5-8 p.m. Nov. 3 in the school cafeteria. Tickets may be purchased in advance only from the school or any cadet. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (706) 650-6040, ext. 5807 or 5808.
The official opening of the Columbia County Merchants Association Fair at the Columbia County Fairgrounds on Columbia Road will be held at 4 p.m. Nov. 3 with a ribbon-cutting and check presentation to local charities. For information, go to www.columbiacountyfair.net.
The Alzheimer’s Association will hold its annual Walk to End Alzheimer’s starting with registration at 9 a.m. Nov. 5 at Augusta Commons. For information, go to www.alz.org/georgiawalk.
The CSRA Parkinson Support Group will hold its 12th Annual Parkinson Walk starting with 9 a.m. registration Nov. 5 at the Wilson Family Y on Wheeler Road. Cost is $20. For information, call (615) 504-4739, or email email@example.com.
• The Christmas Craft Market at West Acres Baptist Church on Gibbs Road in Evans will be held 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 5. For information, call Cathie Rich at (706) 860-9483 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road at South Belair Road, will hold its annual craft show Nov. 19. Vendor spaces are available for $25 each. For information, call Margaret at (706) 210-0893, or email email@example.com.
• Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church, Columbia Road at Hereford Farm Road, will hold its Dec. 3 Christmas at the Crossroads craft show Dec. 3. Vendor spaces cost $25. For information, call (706) 863-6795, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Lakeside High School Band is holding its annual fruit sale through Nov. 10, with boxes of Indian River ruby red grapefruit, navel oranges or tangelos available for $17 each. Local orders only, with delivery in December. For information, email email@example.com.
• The Evans High School class of 1987 is seeking classmates for their 25th reunion. Send contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Butler High School class of 1981 will hold a 30-year reunion Nov. 12. Send contact information to email@example.com, or call (706) 860-8169.
The clothes closet at Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road at South Belair Road, is open Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for donations. Clothes are available for those in need. For information, call (706) 863-0510.
The Georgia Farm Bureau Federation is accepting applications from farmers to be listed in its 2012 Georgia Farm Bureau Quality Hay and Poultry Litter Directory and its 2012 Georgia Farm Bureau Pollination Directory. All members with hay, poultry litter or bee pollination services can receive applications at www.gfb.org/commodities, or call (706) 556-6258 for information. The deadline is Oct. 28.
Trinity Hospice will hold its Night of Remembrance at 7 p.m. Nov. 3 on the grounds of Trinity Hospital of Augusta. To designate a complimentary luminary in memory of a loved one, call (706) 729-6222.
The Evans Chapter of MOMS Club International will hold a free children’s concert featuring the U.S. Army Signal Corps Band Decibels 11 a.m. to noon Nov. 4 at the amphitheater behind the Columbia County Library in Evans. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
See WSA Days
Westminster Schools of Augusta, 3067 Wheeler Road, will hold family tours for prospective students at 9:30 a.m. Nov. 4, 11 and 18. For information, call Aimee Lynch at (706) 731-5260.
District 4 Commissioner Bill Morris will hold an open-forum town hall meeting 10-11 a.m. Nov. 5 at the Columbia County Courthouse in Appling.
Westminster Schools of Augusta students will provide free face painting to children at the Columbia County library playground from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 5 as supplies last. Parents and families are invited to attend an Off-Campus Open House at the Columbia County Library Performing Arts Center Room A from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., and students will perform two plays at 7 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. Tickets cost $15 for adults, $10 for alumni, students and children, with a $5 discount per ticket if purchased in advance at the school at 3067 Wheeler Road. For information, go to wsa.net.
The Columbia County EMA Holiday Blood Drive will be held Nov. 9, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Evans Government Auditorium and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Roads and Bridges in Appling. For information, go to www.shepeardblood.org.
Patriotic Voices, portrayals of patriots by actor Bob Rollins, will be held 7:30 p.m. Nov. 11 at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church River Room in Augusta. Tickets cost $25, $20 for seniors, and are available by calling (706) 722-7092, ext. 3, or emailing email@example.com. The event benefits the St. Stephens Ministry.
Art After Dark
Art After Dark, the Artists’ Guild of Columbia County’s annual art show and auction, will be held 7-10 p.m. Nov. 12 at Church of the Holy Comforter, 473 Furys Ferry Road, Martinez. Tickets cost $5 and are available at The News-Times office, at www.artistguildcc.org, or at the event. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (706) 814-3549.
Evans Christian Academy will hold its fall festival at 7 p.m. Nov. 12. For information, call (706) 364-3565.
The AARP Driver Safety Course will be offered free to active-duty military, retirees, veterans, spouses and dependents on Nov. 19 in honor of Veterans Day at 1305 Interstate Parkway in the H2U side entrance. For information, call (706) 651-6719.
Sharon Baptist Church will present its annual Hayride Through the Life of Christ at the Columbia County Fair Grounds, 7-9 p.m. Dec. 8-11. Admission and hot chocolate are free, with nightly musical entertainment.
Three rooms of meeting space are available to community groups at no charge at Mosaic United Methodist Church, 478 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. For information, email email@example.com, or call (706) 650-9187.
The organization Vets to Washington is seeking World War II vets for three-day, expense-paid trips to Washington, D.C., to tour the World War II memorial and others in the area. For information or to donate to help provide the trips, call (706) 832-6483, or go to www.vetstowashington.com.
Helping Hands Thrift Store, 6347 Columbia Road is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month. The store is operated by the Columbia County Foundation for Children.
The Columbia County Library in Evans needs donations of used books to sell in the Friends of the Library store. Drop off donations at the library, or call Barbara Williams at (706) 863-8760.
Best Western Evans Hotel, 452 Park West Drive, off Dyess Parkway, is a donation site for Cell Phones for Soldiers. Phones are refurbished and resold, with phone cards sent to deployed soldiers. Phones can be dropped off at any time. For more information, go to www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com.
Friends Stepping Up, a nonprofit organization for mildly challenged teens and young adults, meets once a month for activities. For information, parents or guardians should call (706) 771-0087.
USA Dance Chapter 6074 holds monthly dances at the Elks Lodge in Martinez. For information, call (803) 270-5470 or go to www.augustadancing.org.
Celebrate Recovery meets each Tuesday evening at The Sanctuary Church, 302 Byrd Road, Evans. For information, call Matt Lever at (706) 421-0089.
The Leah High School and Community Museum, located at the Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue station at 3653 Ray Owens Road, in Appling, is now open from 10 a.m. to noon on the first Tuesday of each month and on Saturdays by appointment. Donations of archival and historical material still are being sought. For information, (706) 541-0043.
TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), nonprofit weight-loss support groups, meeting on the following dates:
• Harlem Baptist Church, 9 a.m. each Thursday; (706) 556-3309.
• Grovetown United Methodist Church, 206 E. Robinson Ave., 6 p.m. each Thursday; (706) 863-0726.
• Pine View Baptist Church, 119 Pleasant Home Road, 4:45 p.m. each Tuesday; (706) 863-6525.
The Columbia County Choral Society is open to all singers in the area. Rehearsals are held at First Baptist Church of Evans. For information and a rehearsal schedule, call (706)650-2311 or go to www.ccchoralsociety.org.
The Augusta Elks Club, off Furys Ferry Road in Martinez, holds a dance with a live band each Friday at 8 p.m. Cost is $10 per person. For information, call (706) 564-1642.
Safe Kids East Central Georgia conducts free child safety child safety seat inspections on the second Wednesday of each month at the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office Substation, 650 Ronald Reagan Drive, Evans. For an appointment, call (706) 541-3970 or go to www.mcghealth.org.
Hope Soap, a private, nonprofit agency that collects toiletries and packages and distributes them to area shelters, has collection sites in the community. Donations, particularly of personal-sized items from hotels, may be brought to The Columbia County News-Times, in the Publix shopping center on Washington Road, Evans, and Wild Birds Unlimited, West Town Shopping Center, Martinez.
Mosaic United Methodist Church’s Celebrate Recovery program holds weekly group sessions at 7 p.m. each Friday at the church at 678 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. For information, call (706) 877-6468, or go to www.mosaicumc.org.
The MCG Breast Cancer Support Group meets on the second Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the first-floor community room at the MCGHealth Cancer Center, 1411 Laney-Walker Blvd. For information, call (706) 721-4109 or go to mcghealth.org.
The Columbia County Civic Orchestra holds weekly rehearsals 7:15-9:15 p.m. Mondays in the music suite at West Acres Baptist Church, 555 Gibbs Road, Evans. Returning and new musicians are welcome. The Youth Orchestra holds rehearsals 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays in the Augusta Christian band room, 313 Baston Road. For information, call Rob Nordan at (706) 860-6573, ext. 114, or go to www.columbiacco.org.
Augusta Christian Singles meets at the Ballroom Dance Center, 525 Grand Slam Drive, off Evans-to-Locks Road, from 7-11 p.m. each Saturday. Cost is $8 for members, $10 for guests. For information, call Barbara Nash at (803) 640-2075.
The Helping Hands Thrift Store, operated by Columbia County Foundation for Children at 6347 Columbia Road, is open 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first Saturday each month. For information, call (706) 541-2849.
Warren Baptist Church holds weekday preschool and mother’s day out classes for ages 1 through preK 4. For information, call (706) 860-6878 or go to warrenbaptist.org.
The Marine Corps League Riverfront Marines Detachment 1132, meets the second Thursday of every month at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 1002 Carolina Ave., North Augusta, with dinner at 6 p.m. and the meeting at 7 p.m. For information, contact Paul Brewer at (706) 306-6667 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fort Gordon’s Survivor Outreach Services, for families of deceased soldiers, is available at (706) 787-4767 or at myarmyonesource.com.
The Hearing Loss Association of Augusta meets at 5:30 p.m. on the third Monday each month at Room 100 of the Adult Building of First Baptist Church of Augusta. For information, call Debbie Rish at (706) 650-2496, or e-mail email@example.com.
Three Alzheimer’s caregiver support groups meet in Columbia County.
• Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church, 5555 Hereford Farm Road: 7 p.m., second Tuesday each month. For information, call (706) 541-0085 or (706) 541-0185.
• Morningside of Evans, 353 N. Belair Road: 11 a.m., second Saturday each month. For information, call (706) 228-4709.
• Brandon Wilde, 4275 Owens Road: 7 p.m., third Tuesday each month. For information, call (706) 854-3519.
Spaces are available at the Grace Baptist Preschool, 4945 Hardy McManus Road, Evans. For information, call (706) 868-9729.
The clothes closet in the family life center at Marvin United Methodist Church, Belair at Wheeler Road, is open Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Clothing is free, but donations are welcome.
The Augusta Choral Society (ACS) is seeking new members for its 2010-2011 season. For information, go to www.augustachoralsociety.org or call (706) 826-4713.
The Women’s Veterans Club meets at 11 a.m. the first Saturday of each month. Dues cost $24 per year. For information, call April Starks at (706) 868-5601.
The Grovetown Lions Club offers financial assistance for qualifying Grovetown individuals in the purchase of eyeglasses. For information, write to Grovetown Lions Club Eyeglass Program, P.O. Box 248, Grovetown, GA 30813.
• The Grovetown Senior Center is seeking volunteer, licensed drivers with their own vehicles to deliver meals to shut-ins in the Grovetown area. For information, call (706) 210-8699.
• Regency Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. For information, call Nancy Browning at (706) 868-4422.
• Golden Harvest Food Bank is seeking volunteers to help sort donations in the warehouse. For information, call (706) 736-1199.
• Safe Kids East Central Georgia is seeking volunteers to help with events, such as car seat and bicycle checks, and to lead ongoing programs that teach safety to children and teens. Training is provided. For information, call (706) 721-7606.
• Volunteer opportunities are available at the Columbia County Library in Evans. For information, call Jessica Thompson at (706) 863-1946, or e-mail jthompson@ columbiacountyga.gov.
• The American Cancer Society’s Augusta chapter is seeking volunteer drivers for its Road to Recovery program, which provides transportation to cancer patients. For information, call (706) 731-9900.
• Hospice Care of America is seeking volunteers. For information, call Rick Boland at (706) 447-2626.
Doctors Hospital offers a variety of classes each month. For information on all classes, call (706) 651-2450, or go to www.doctors-hospital.net.
The Georgia Forestry Commission, Columbia County Unit, offers advice to all Columbia County residents on whether their home is in line of fire from brush or wild land fires. For information, call (706) 556-3962.