The News-Times encourages suggestions and requests for stories and event coverage, along with reader submissions of noteworthy and interesting items. The following guidelines should make it easier for readers to submit information and requests and to interact with The News-Times staff.
To request coverage of an event or story or to provide a news tip, email a note with contact information to cnt@newstimes online.com, or call (706) 868-1222.
The News-Times welcomes submissions of photos of milestones, award presentations, family gatherings, school and sporting events, vacations and other noteworthy occasions. Photos are printed on a space-available basis.
Some helpful tips:
• The best way to get a photo to us is to email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the photo as a .jpg attachment. Don’t paste photos into a text document or the body of the e-mail.
• Be sure to provide enough information with the photo so that someone unfamiliar with the event would understand it. When feasible, provide first and last names, from left to right, of people shown.
• Unless you have a high-resolution camera phone, don’t use it to send photos. Typically the files are too small to reproduce clearly in print.
• Do not send photo illustrations, composites or collages. We won’t run them. And don’t send multiple versions of the same photo and ask us to choose one; just send your favorite.
• Send all wedding photos, engagement photos or birth announcements to email@example.com.
• If you send an e-mail and don’t get a response within a workday or so, assume we haven’t received it. Double-check the spelling of the email address, and make sure your photo file size isn’t too large – usually no more than 5 MB is necessary. You also can check by calling (706) 868-1222.
• In most cases we won’t send a staff photographer to check presentations, ribbon-cuttings, award presentations, club officer installations or other posed events that easily can be shot with a standard digital camera; plan to send those to us.
• Prints also can be brought or mailed to our office in the Publix shopping center, 4272 Washington Road, Ste. 3B, Evans, GA 30809. Send only good-quality prints or those from photo printers; plain-paper printouts from standard printers usually aren’t reproducible in the newspaper. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of the print, or pick it up from the office during business hours after it’s scanned.
Our Current Events and Get Up and Go calendars and sports calendars typically are reserved for public agencies, schools, churches and nonprofit groups to publicize their events. Free calendar listings usually are not available to businesses.
All requests for inclusion in the calendar must be provided in writing; telephone requests are not accepted. Email is preferred at firstname.lastname@example.org. Calendar listings do not include photos.
Items also may be faxed to (706) 823-6062 or brought or mailed to our office at 4272 Washington Road, Ste. 3B, Evans, GA 30809.
The News-Times highlights achievements of Columbia County residents through publication of Newsmaker listings for students and professionals. Most notices come from schools or agencies, but individuals also are welcome to submit items for Newsmaker listings either as text files or with photos.
The News-Times also publishes school honor rolls each nine weeks as sent from individual schools. If an honor roll is published without a name you expected to see, contact the school. If they omitted the name in error, the school will send us a request for an addendum.
Letters to the editor
The News-Times encourages public dialogue through submission of letters to the editor of roughly 300 words, and guest columns of 500-750 words. Letters may be emailed, faxed, hand-delivered or mailed, but all must include the first and last name of the writer; a city address, such as Grovetown or Evans; and a daytime telephone number for verification purposes. Guest columns are accepted for publication only upon approval by the publisher, and must include a photograph of the writer.