The St. Teresa of Avila Catholic Church Music Ministry will present a Christmas Choir Concert at 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14. Tickets cost $3 or two for $5, with donations toward the church building fund. Call Kimberly Lies at (706) 863-4956, ext. 109, or email email@example.com.
Musical Theater Workshops will present the musical Disney’s The Little Mermaid Jr. at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 15, and at 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 16, at the Greenbrier High School auditorium. Admission costs $10 for adults, $5 for students. Call (706) 231-1759, or go to www.onwiththeshow.biz.
Christmas in America, a play that tells the story of a young Latino American family celebrating the birth of Jesus in the Mexican tradition of Las Posadas, will be presented at 2 p.m. today, Dec. 16, at St. Teresa of Avila Catholic Church, 4921 Columbia Road. The play will be presented by the Knights of Columbus Ladies Auxiliary and children of the church. Admission is free, with desserts and hot cocoa served afterward. An offering will be taken for a family in need.
The News-Times office in the Publix shopping center, 4272 Washington Road, Evans, is collecting new underwear and socks for children served by Child Enrichment. Drop off donations Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., before Dec. 21.
Donations of children’s bicycles are being sought for the Santa Wheels program, which refurbishes bikes and gives them to children for Christmas. Bikes can be dropped off at Master Buick GMC in Martinez before noon Thursday.
Operation Hand-Warmer, which collects handwarmers, snack foods and toiletries for troops in Afghanistan, has drop-off locations at all Century 21 Larry Miller Realty offices, including 235 N. Belair Road, Evans. Monetary donations can be made at any branch of Georgia Bank and Trust. Call Lindsey Folley or Sherrie Wilson at (706) 860-0000.
Pet food drives
• The Kibble for Kritters collection of pet food and pet-care items is being held during
December with drop-off sites at Best Western Evans, 452 Park West Drive, Grovetown; Baymont Inn, 2905 Riverwest Drive, Augusta; and Best Western White Columns in Thomson. Go to www.kibbleforkritters.net.
• Pawprints Foundation is holding a pet food drive through New Year’s weekend at area locations, including Boots, Bridles and Britches, Wild Birds Unlimited and Vineyard Wine Market. Call (706) 863-2067.
Shepeard Community Blood Center will hold blood drives during December at 5060 Wrightsboro Road, Grovetown; 4:30-8 p.m. today, Dec. 12, at Abilene Baptist Church, 3917 Washington Road, Martinez; and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 22 at Walmart on Bobby Jones Expressway. Go to www.shepeardblood.org.
• Applications are being accepted through Dec. 20 for the Georgia Rotary Student Program Norway Scholarship. Single students ages 20-24 who have completed their college sophomore year are eligible. The program will provide a scholarship to study at the University of Oslo from June 22-Aug. 2. Contact Pam Lightsey at firstname.lastname@example.org or (706) 840-2087.
• Applications are being accepted through Feb. 15 for the Watson-Brown Foundation college scholarships for area high school seniors and current undergraduates. Go to www.watson-brown.org/scholarship.
Spaces are available for the next class of the Columbia County Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), which begins Feb. 19. To apply, call (706) 868-3303, or email email@example.com.
VFW Post 6445, at 6423 Wrightsboro Road, Harlem, holds a turkey shoot at 1 p.m. each Saturday through Jan. 26. Call (706) 556-9194.
The Marshall Family Y will hold a Christmas camp for children Dec. 26-28 and 31, and Jan. 2-4, 7 and 8, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Cost is $15 per day for the first child and $10 for each additional for members, $40 for non-members. Call (706) 364-3269.
Red Nose Run
The Red Nose Run 5K to benefit Ronald McDonald House Charities of Augusta will be held at 8 a.m. Jan. 12 starting at James Brown Arena in Augusta. Cost is $20 before Dec. 20, $25 from Dec. 21-Jan. 11, and $30 on race day. Go to www.strictlyrunning.com.
Boy Scout Troop 643 will pick up Christmas trees for recycling Dec. 29 and Jan. 5 for a $10 donation. To schedule, call (706) 373-8922, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donations are being sought for the nonprofit Friends of the Grovetown Library/Media Center. Send checks to P.O. Box 864, Grovetown, Ga., 30813. Call (706) 863-1867.
Augusta area podiatrists are collecting shoes for the needy and homeless through Jan. 4. Call Dr. Kent Kronowski at (706) 724-0586.
Elvis tribute artist Jeff Barnes will perform from 7-9 p.m. Jan. 12 at the Greenbrier High School auditorium in a fundraiser for the school’s Navy JROTC program. Adult tickets cost $10, students $7, available at the school or at the door.
Girls from Columbia and surrounding counties are invited to enter the Miss Madison/Elbert Forestry Pageant, set for Feb. 23. Deadline is Feb. 3. Email Linda Thompson at email@example.com.
A free seminar on home organization, by Professional Organizers of Augusta, will be held 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 12 at the showroom of Carpenters in the Home, 422 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Goodwill Industries is seeking volunteers for all areas of the organization. Call Amy Breitmann at (706) 564-4521.
AARP Tax-Aide is seeking volunteers to assist taxpayers in filing 2012 returns. Go to www.aarp.org/tavolunteer8 or call Jim Roberts at (706) 860-6430.
The Fraternal Order of Elks, off Furys Ferry Road, Martinez, holds a dance each Friday from 7-11 p.m. Cost is $8, with the third Friday Elks dance $35 per couple. Call (706) 860-3232.
• CareSouth Hospice, 231 Furys Ferry Road, Suite 212, Martinez, is seeking hospice volunteers. Training is provided. Call (706) 550-9966 to register.
• Alliance Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. Call Rick Boland at (706) 447-2461, or email email@example.com.
The Healthy Heart Club, a series of cardiac health classes presented by Medical Center West Pharmacy and Warren Baptist Church, are offered from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesdays in room D103 at Warren Baptist Church, 3203 Washington Road. The classes are free. For more information, call Kyle Pulliam at (706) 854-2424.
The Hearing Loss Association of Augusta meets at 5:30 p.m. on the third Monday of each month in Dining Rooms 1-6 at University Hospital. E mail Gayle Tison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Evans Christian Academy, 213 South Old Belair Road, holds Zumba classes from 6:15-7:16 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays. Call (706) 354-3565.
Mosaic United Methodist Church and Christ the King Lutheran Church, on Industrial Park Drive at Evans-to-Locks Road, offer free services including food, medical screening, free haircuts, GED sign-ups and job resources to community residents in need on third Saturdays each month. Call (706) 650-9187.
The Southeastern Firefighters Burn Foundation Burn Survivors Support Group meets at 2 p.m. on the second Wednesday of each month at the foundation office, 3614 J. Dewey Gray Circle, Building C., Augusta. Call 1 (800) 650-BURN, or go to www.sfbf.net.
The Columbia County Orchestra 2012-13 concert season includes performances Jan. 26, March 16, April 20 and May 3 at the Jabez Sanford Hardin Performing Arts Center in Evans. Go to www.columbiacco.org.
• Marvin Methodist Preschool, 4400 Wheeler Road, Martinez offers preschool for 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds. Call Ginger Gruba at (706) 868-8877.
• Trinity Baptist Preschool, 4594 Columbia Road, Martinez, offers preschool for 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds. Call Shannon Story at (706) 799-0637.
• Spaces are available at Grace Baptist Preschool, 4945 Hardy McManus Road, Evans, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Call Lisa Wamack at (706) 868-9729.
• Warren Baptist Church holds weekday preschool and mother’s day out classes for ages 1 through pre-K 4. Call (706) 860-6878 or go to www.warrenbaptist.org.
Overeaters Anonymous meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, 3551 Wheeler Road, Augusta, and 1:30 p.m. Saturdays at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 3131 Walton Way, Augusta. Call (706) 541-0580, or e mail email@example.com.
Georgia Health Sciences holds a free weight loss surgery seminar at 7 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month at the Columbia County Library in Evans. Go to www.georgiahealth.org/weightloss, or call (706) 721-2609.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a nonprofit weight-loss support group, meets on the following dates:
• Harlem Baptist Church, 8:45 a.m. Thursdays; (706) 556-3309.
• Grovetown United Methodist Church, 206 E. Robinson Ave., 6 p.m. Thursdays; (706) 863-0726.
• Pine View Baptist Church, 119 Pleasant Home Road, 4:45 p.m. each Tuesday; (706) 863-6525.
The East Georgia Genealogical Society, which encompasses an area that includes Columbia County, meets at 7 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month at the L.D.S. Church, 36 Sims Road, Winder, Ga. Go to www.eastgagenealogy.com.
MOMS Club of Evans is selling cookbooks for $15, with all proceeds supporting Ronald McDonald House of Augusta. E mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best Western Evans Hotel, 452 Park West Drive, off Dyess Parkway, is a donation site for Cell Phones for Soldiers. Go to www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com.
Helping Hands Thrift Store, operated by the Columbia County Foundation for Children at 6347 Columbia Road, Appling, is open Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on first Saturdays.
Three rooms of meeting space are available to community groups at no charge at Mosaic United Methodist Church, 478 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. E mail email@example.com, or call (706) 650-9187.
The organization Vets to Washington is seeking World War II vets for three-day, expenses-paid trips to Washington, D.C., to tour the World War II memorial and others in the area. For information or to donate to help provide the trips, call (706) 832-6483, or go to www.vetstowashington.com.
Columbia County Library in Evans needs donations of used books to sell in the Friends of the Library store. Drop off donations at the library, or call Barbara Williams at (706) 863-8760.
The clothes closet at Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road at South Belair Road, is open Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for donations. Clothes are available for those in need. Call (706) 863-0510.
Friends Stepping Up, a nonprofit organization for mildly challenged teens and young adults, meets once a month for activities. For information, parents or guardians should call (706) 771-0087.
USA Dance Chapter 6074 holds monthly dances at the Elks Lodge in Martinez. Call (803) 270-5470 or go to www.augustadancing.org.
Celebrate Recovery meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday evenings at The Sanctuary Church, 302 Byrd Road, Evans. Call (706) 421-0089.
The Leah High School and Community Museum, located at the Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue station at 3653 Ray Owens Road, in Appling, is now open from 10 a.m. to noon on the first Tuesday of each month and on Saturdays by appointment. Donations of archival and historical material still are being sought. Call (706) 541-0043.
The Columbia County Choral Society is open to all singers in the area. Rehearsals are held at First Baptist Church of Evans. Call (706)650-2311 or go to www.ccchoralsociety.org.
The Augusta Elks Club, off Furys Ferry Road in Martinez, holds a dance with a live band each Friday at 8 p.m. Cost is $10 per person. Call (706) 564-1642.
Safe Kids East Central Georgia conducts free child safety child safety seat inspections on the second Wednesday of each month at the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office Substation, 650 Ronald Reagan Drive, Evans. Call (706) 541-3970 or go to www.mcghealth.org.
Hope Soap, a private, nonprofit agency that collects toiletries and packages and distributes them to area shelters, has collection sites in the community. Donations, particularly of personal-size items from hotels, may be brought to The Columbia County News-Times, in the Publix shopping center on Washington Road, Evans, and Wild Birds Unlimited, West Town Shopping Center, Martinez.
Mosaic United Methodist Church’s Celebrate Recovery program holds weekly group sessions at 7 p.m. each Friday at the church at 678 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. Call (706) 877-6468, or go to www.mosaicumc.org.
The MCG Breast Cancer Support Group meets on the second Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the first-floor community room at the MCGHealth Cancer Center, 1411 Laney-Walker Blvd. Call (706) 721-4109 or go to www.mcghealth.org.
The Columbia County Civic Orchestra holds weekly rehearsals 7:15-9:15 p.m. Mondays in the music suite at West Acres Baptist Church, 555 Gibbs Road, Evans. Returning and new musicians are welcome. The Youth Orchestra holds rehearsals 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays in the Augusta Christian band room, 313 Baston Road. Call Rob Nordan at (706) 860-6573, ext. 114, or go to www.columbiacco.org.
Augusta Christian Singles meets at the Ballroom Dance Center, 525 Grand Slam Drive, off Evans-to-Locks Road, from 7-11 p.m. each Saturday. Cost is $8 for members, $10 for guests. Call Barbara Nash at (803) 640-2075.
The Marine Corps League Riverfront Marines Detachment 1132, meets the second Thursday of each month at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 1002 Carolina Ave., North Augusta, with dinner at 6 p.m. and the meeting at 7 p.m. Contact Paul Brewer at (706) 306-6667 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
An ostomy support group will meets at 6 p.m. on the second Monday of each month at Barney’s Pharmacy on Peach Orchard Road in Augusta. Call (706) 798-5645.
Fort Gordon’s Survivor Outreach Services, for families of deceased soldiers, is available at (706) 787-4767 or at myarmyonesource.com.
Three Alzheimer’s caregiver support groups meet in Columbia County.
• Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church, 5555 Hereford Farm Road: 7 p.m., second Tuesday each month. Call (706) 541-0085 or (706) 541-0185.
• Morningside of Evans, 353 N. Belair Road: 11 a.m., second Saturday each month. Call (706) 228-4709.
• Brandon Wilde, 4275 Owens Road: 7 p.m., third Tuesday each month. Call (706) 854-3519.
The Women’s Veterans Club meets at 11 a.m. the first Saturday of each month. Dues cost $24 per year. Call April Starks at (706) 868-5601.
The Grovetown Lions Club offers financial assistance for qualifying Grovetown individuals in the purchase of eyeglasses. Write to Grovetown Lions Club Eyeglass Program, P.O. Box 248, Grovetown, GA 30813.
• The Grovetown Senior Center is seeking volunteer, licensed drivers with their own vehicles to deliver meals to shut-ins in the Grovetown area. Call (706) 210-8699.
• Regency Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. Call Nancy Browning at (706) 868-4422.
• Golden Harvest Food Bank is seeking volunteers to help sort donations in the warehouse. Call (706) 736-1199.
• Safe Kids East Central Georgia is seeking volunteers to help with events, such as car seat and bicycle checks, and to lead ongoing programs that teach safety to children and teens. Training is provided. Call (706) 721-7606.
• Volunteer opportunities are available at the Columbia County Library in Evans. Call Jessica Thompson at (706) 863-1946, or e mail email@example.com.
• The American Cancer Society’s Augusta chapter is seeking volunteer drivers for its Road to Recovery program, which provides transportation to cancer patients. Call (706) 731-9900.
Doctors Hospital offers a variety of classes each month. Call (706) 651-2450, or go to www.doctors-hospital.net.
The Georgia Forestry Commission, Columbia County Unit, offers advice to Columbia County residents on whether their homes would be in danger from wildfires. Call (706) 556-3962.