Shepeard Community Blood Center will hold blood drives from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. today at Wesley United Methodist Church, 825 N. Belair Road, Evans; 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 18 at Stevens Creek Church, 600 Stevens Creek Road, Martinez; and 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Nov. 24 at the Walmart in Grovetown. Go to www.shepeardblood.org.
Boy Scout Troop 122 will hold a Veterans Day flag retirement ceremony at 4 p.m. Monday at Grovetown City Hall. The ceremony fulfills part of the Eagle Scout requirements for Trey Miller. Residents with worn American flags in need of retirement are asked to bring them before the ceremony.
• Vendors are being sought for the Lakeside Middle School Holiday Panther Market to be held 4-7 p.m. Nov. 30. Tables cost $25. Call (706) 855-6900, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Craft vendors are wanted for Columbia County’s Christmas Crafts and Caroling event, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Savannah Rapids Pavilion. Call (706) 312-7192.
• Lewis Memorial Church, on Hereford Farm Road at Columbia Road, is seeking vendors for its annual Christmas at the Crossroads craft bazaar, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec.1. Email Hope Barker at email@example.com, or call (706) 863-6795.
The annual CSRA-Augusta Veterans Day Parade will be held at 10 a.m. Monday starting at Sacred Heart Cultural Center and proceeding down Broad Street to the All Wars Monument at Fourth Street.
• CareSouth Hospice, 231 Furys Ferry Road, Suite 212, Martinez, will hold training for hospice volunteers from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday. Call (706) 550-9966 to register.
• Alliance Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. Call Rick Boland at (706) 447-2461, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The AARP Driver Safety program for motorists age 50-older will be 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday at Patriots Park, 5445 Columbia Road. Cost is $14, with limited spots available free to veterans. AARP membership is not required. To register, call (706) 863-2865.
• The AARP Driver Safety program will be held 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Washington Commons. Cost is $12 for AARP members, $14 for nonmembers. To register, call (706) 860-0402.
The Gluten Intolerance Group will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Earthfare on Furys Ferry Road, Martinez. All celiacs, gluten intolerant and individuals interested in gluten-free diets are welcome.
Augusta Prep students will perform the one-act plays Check Please and Three Tables at 7 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Cost is $12 for adults, $10 for students at www.augustaprep.org.
• The Brotherhood of Parkway Baptist Church, 2543 William Few Parkway, Evans, will hold a turkey shoot from 7-9:30 p.m. Thursday. Call Brent Butler at (706) 799-8486.
• The Grovetown Lions Club fall turkey shoots, at 1200 Old Louisville Road, are held each Friday and Saturday through Dec. 8. Email email@example.com or call (706) 726-4302.
• VFW Post 6445, at 6423 Wrightsboro Road, Harlem, holds a turkey shoot each Saturday at 1 p.m. Call (706) 556-9194.
Howard Moore will demonstrate winged vessels at the Savannah River Woodturners, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at 144 N. Belair Road, Evans. Go to www.savannahriverwoodturners.org or call Lee Carey at (706) 627-8373.
Operation Hand-Warmer, which collects handwarmers, snack foods and toiletries for troops in Afghanistan, has drop-off locations at all Century 21 Larry Miller Realty offices, including 235 N. Belair Road, Evans. Monetary donations can be made at any branch of Georgia Bank and Trust. Call Lindsey Folley or Sherrie Wilson at (706) 860-0000.
The Fraternal Order of Elks, off Furys Ferry Road, Martinez, holds a dance each Friday from 7-11 p.m. Cost is $8, with the third Friday Elks dance $35 per couple. Call (706) 860-3232.
CSRA Writers meets at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 19 at Georgia Military College, 115 Davis Road, Martinez. Call (706) 836-7315.
Entries are being sought for the annual Martinez-Evans Christmas Parade, to be held at 2 p.m. Dec. 2. Applications are available at www.columbiacountyfair.net.
The Marshall Family Y will hold Thanksgiving camp for children Nov. 19, 20 and 21. Cost is $25 for members, $40 for nonmembers. Call (706) 364-3269.
Mistletoe State Park in Appling will demonstrate Indian and pioneer living to children age 8-12 from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 20. Cost is $20, with registration before Nov. 19. Call (706) 541-0321.
A multimedia program featuring images of Yosemite and Joshua Tree national parks will be presented at the Augusta Sierra Club, 6:30 p.m. Nov. 20 at the Unitarian Universalist Church on Walton Way Extension. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The annual Jingle Jam 10K run/walk, a fundraiser for Safehomes of Augusta, will be held Nov. 30-Dec. 1, with race packet pickup Nov. 30 at Savannah Rapids Pavilion, and the race starting at 8 a.m. at Evans Towne Center Park. Go to www.jinglejam10k.com.
The Columbia County Orchestra and Columbia County Historical Society will present Christmas Arts in Appling from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 1 in Appling, with tours, art exhibits, concessions and music.
The 13th annual Augusta Toy Run motorcycle ride will begin at 12:30 p.m. Dec. 2 at the Augusta Museum of History. Cost is one new unwrapped toy or $10 per rider. Call (803) 634-0785.
An art auction and wine tasting will be held 6 p.m. Dec. 8 at the Augusta Jewish Community Center, 898 Weinberger Way, off Furys Ferry Road in Evans. Cost is $25, with a next-day sale from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 9. Reservations are required by Dec. 3 by calling (706) 228-3636, or emailing email@example.com.
Life of Christ
Sharon Baptist Church’s annual Hayride Through the Life of Christ will be held 7-9 p.m. Dec. 13-16 at the Columbia County Fairgrounds. Admission and hot chocolate are free. Call (706) 541-0667.
Applications are being accepted through Dec. 20 for the Georgia Rotary Student Program Norway Scholarship. Single students ages 20-24 who have completed their sophomore year are eligible. The program will provide a scholarship to study at the University of Oslo from June 22-Aug. 2. Contact Pam Lightsey at firstname.lastname@example.org or (706) 840-2087.
The Healthy Heart Club, a series of cardiac health classes presented by Medical Center West Pharmacy and Warren Baptist Church, are offered from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesdays in room D103 at Warren Baptist Church, 3203 Washington Road. The classes are free. For more information, call Kyle Pulliam at (706) 854-2424.
The annual Italian Thanksgiving Feast, a fundraiser for Columbia County Cares and Golden Harvest Food Bank, will be held 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 19 at the Garlic Clove, 4534 Washington Road, Evans.
Musical Theater Workshops will present the musical Disney’s The Little Mermaid Jr. at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Dec. 15 at the Greenbrier High School auditorium. Admission costs $10 for adults, $5 for students. Call (706) 231-1759, or go to www.onwiththeshow.biz.
The Hearing Loss Association of Augusta meets at 5:30 p.m. on the third Monday of each month in Dining Rooms 1-6 at University Hospital. E mail Gayle Tison at email@example.com.
Evans Christian Academy, 213 South Old Belair Road, holds Zumba classes from 6:15-7:16 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays. Call (706) 354-3565.
Mosaic United Methodist Church and Christ the King Lutheran Church, on Industrial Park Drive at Evans-to-Locks Road, offer free services including food, medical screening, free haircuts, GED sign-ups and job resources to community residents in need on third Saturdays each month. Call (706) 650-9187.
The Southeastern Firefighters Burn Foundation Burn Survivors Support Group meets at 2 p.m. on the second Wednesday of each month at the foundation office, 3614 J. Dewey Gray Circle, Building C., Augusta. Call 1 (800) 650-BURN, or go to www.sfbf.net.
The Columbia County Orchestra 2012-13 concert season includes performances Jan. 26, March 16, April 20 and May 3 at the Jabez Sanford Hardin Performing Arts Center in Evans. Go to www.columbiacco.org.
• Marvin Methodist Preschool, 4400 Wheeler Road, Martinez offers preschool for 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds. Call Ginger Gruba at (706) 868-8877.
• Trinity Baptist Preschool, 4594 Columbia Road, Martinez, offers preschool for 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds. Call Shannon Story at (706) 799-0637.
• Spaces are available at Grace Baptist Preschool, 4945 Hardy McManus Road, Evans, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Call Lisa Wamack at (706) 868-9729.
• Warren Baptist Church holds weekday preschool and mother’s day out classes for ages 1 through pre-K 4. Call (706) 860-6878 or go to www.warrenbaptist.org.
Overeaters Anonymous meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, 3551 Wheeler Road, Augusta, and 1:30 p.m. Saturdays at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 3131 Walton Way, Augusta. Call (706) 541-0580, or e mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Georgia Health Sciences holds a free weight loss surgery seminar at 7 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month at the Columbia County Library in Evans. Go to www.georgiahealth.org/weightloss, or call (706) 721-2609.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a nonprofit weight-loss support group, meets on the following dates:
• Harlem Baptist Church, 8:45 a.m. Thursdays; (706) 556-3309.
• Grovetown United Methodist Church, 206 E. Robinson Ave., 6 p.m. Thursdays; (706) 863-0726.
• Pine View Baptist Church, 119 Pleasant Home Road, 4:45 p.m. each Tuesday; (706) 863-6525.
The East Georgia Genealogical Society, which encompasses an area that includes Columbia County, meets at 7 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month at the L.D.S. Church, 36 Sims Road, Winder, Ga. Go to www.eastgagenealogy.com.
MOMS Club of Evans is selling cookbooks for $15, with all proceeds supporting Ronald McDonald House of Augusta. E mail email@example.com.
Best Western Evans Hotel, 452 Park West Drive, off Dyess Parkway, is a donation site for Cell Phones for Soldiers. Go to www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com.
Helping Hands Thrift Store, operated by the Columbia County Foundation for Children at 6347 Columbia Road, Appling, is open Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on first Saturdays.
Three rooms of meeting space are available to community groups at no charge at Mosaic United Methodist Church, 478 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. E mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (706) 650-9187.
The organization Vets to Washington is seeking World War II vets for three-day, expenses-paid trips to Washington, D.C., to tour the World War II memorial and others in the area. For information or to donate to help provide the trips, call (706) 832-6483, or go to www.vetstowashington.com.
Columbia County Library in Evans needs donations of used books to sell in the Friends of the Library store. Drop off donations at the library, or call Barbara Williams at (706) 863-8760.
The clothes closet at Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road at South Belair Road, is open Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for donations. Clothes are available for those in need. Call (706) 863-0510.
Friends Stepping Up, a nonprofit organization for mildly challenged teens and young adults, meets once a month for activities. For information, parents or guardians should call (706) 771-0087.
USA Dance Chapter 6074 holds monthly dances at the Elks Lodge in Martinez. Call (803) 270-5470 or go to www.augustadancing.org.
Celebrate Recovery meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday evenings at The Sanctuary Church, 302 Byrd Road, Evans. Call (706) 421-0089.
The Leah High School and Community Museum, located at the Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue station at 3653 Ray Owens Road, in Appling, is now open from 10 a.m. to noon on the first Tuesday of each month and on Saturdays by appointment. Donations of archival and historical material still are being sought. Call (706) 541-0043.
The Columbia County Choral Society is open to all singers in the area. Rehearsals are held at First Baptist Church of Evans. Call (706)650-2311 or go to www.ccchoralsociety.org.
The Augusta Elks Club, off Furys Ferry Road in Martinez, holds a dance with a live band each Friday at 8 p.m. Cost is $10 per person. Call (706) 564-1642.
Safe Kids East Central Georgia conducts free child safety child safety seat inspections on the second Wednesday of each month at the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office Substation, 650 Ronald Reagan Drive, Evans. Call (706) 541-3970 or go to www.mcghealth.org.
Hope Soap, a private, nonprofit agency that collects toiletries and packages and distributes them to area shelters, has collection sites in the community. Donations, particularly of personal-size items from hotels, may be brought to The Columbia County News-Times, in the Publix shopping center on Washington Road, Evans, and Wild Birds Unlimited, West Town Shopping Center, Martinez.
Mosaic United Methodist Church’s Celebrate Recovery program holds weekly group sessions at 7 p.m. each Friday at the church at 678 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. Call (706) 877-6468, or go to www.mosaicumc.org.
The MCG Breast Cancer Support Group meets on the second Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the first-floor community room at the MCGHealth Cancer Center, 1411 Laney-Walker Blvd. Call (706) 721-4109 or go to www.mcghealth.org.
The Columbia County Civic Orchestra holds weekly rehearsals 7:15-9:15 p.m. Mondays in the music suite at West Acres Baptist Church, 555 Gibbs Road, Evans. Returning and new musicians are welcome. The Youth Orchestra holds rehearsals 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays in the Augusta Christian band room, 313 Baston Road. Call Rob Nordan at (706) 860-6573, ext. 114, or go to www.columbiacco.org.
Augusta Christian Singles meets at the Ballroom Dance Center, 525 Grand Slam Drive, off Evans-to-Locks Road, from 7-11 p.m. each Saturday. Cost is $8 for members, $10 for guests. Call Barbara Nash at (803) 640-2075.
The Marine Corps League Riverfront Marines Detachment 1132, meets the second Thursday of each month at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 1002 Carolina Ave., North Augusta, with dinner at 6 p.m. and the meeting at 7 p.m. Contact Paul Brewer at (706) 306-6667 or email@example.com.
An ostomy support group will meets at 6 p.m. on the second Monday of each month at Barney’s Pharmacy on Peach Orchard Road in Augusta. Call (706) 798-5645.
Fort Gordon’s Survivor Outreach Services, for families of deceased soldiers, is available at (706) 787-4767 or at myarmyonesource.com.
Three Alzheimer’s caregiver support groups meet in Columbia County.
• Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church, 5555 Hereford Farm Road: 7 p.m., second Tuesday each month. Call (706) 541-0085 or (706) 541-0185.
• Morningside of Evans, 353 N. Belair Road: 11 a.m., second Saturday each month. Call (706) 228-4709.
• Brandon Wilde, 4275 Owens Road: 7 p.m., third Tuesday each month. Call (706) 854-3519.
The Women’s Veterans Club meets at 11 a.m. the first Saturday of each month. Dues cost $24 per year. Call April Starks at (706) 868-5601.
The Grovetown Lions Club offers financial assistance for qualifying Grovetown individuals in the purchase of eyeglasses. Write to Grovetown Lions Club Eyeglass Program, P.O. Box 248, Grovetown, GA 30813.
• The Grovetown Senior Center is seeking volunteer, licensed drivers with their own vehicles to deliver meals to shut-ins in the Grovetown area. Call (706) 210-8699.
• Regency Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. Call Nancy Browning at (706) 868-4422.
• Golden Harvest Food Bank is seeking volunteers to help sort donations in the warehouse. Call (706) 736-1199.
• Safe Kids East Central Georgia is seeking volunteers to help with events, such as car seat and bicycle checks, and to lead ongoing programs that teach safety to children and teens. Training is provided. Call (706) 721-7606.
• Volunteer opportunities are available at the Columbia County Library in Evans. Call Jessica Thompson at (706) 863-1946, or e mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The American Cancer Society’s Augusta chapter is seeking volunteer drivers for its Road to Recovery program, which provides transportation to cancer patients. Call (706) 731-9900.
Doctors Hospital offers a variety of classes each month. Call (706) 651-2450, or go to www.doctors-hospital.net.
The Georgia Forestry Commission, Columbia County Unit, offers advice to Columbia County residents on whether their homes would be in danger from wildfires. Call (706) 556-3962.