An open house for the combined offices of the Columbia County Chamber of Commerce, Development Authority and Convention and Visitors Bureau, in the former Evans health department building in the Columbia County Government Center, will be held 4:30-6:30 p.m. Thursday. Call (706) 651-0018.
The Byrd Family gospel singers will celebrate their 54th anniversary at 10 a.m. today at Bible Fellowship Church, 3701 Old Petersburg Road, Martinez, with a free barbecue luncheon to follow. Go to www.thebyrdfamily.org, www.biblefellowshipministry.org, or call (706) 922-5314.
Shepeard Community Blood Center will hold blood drives from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. today at New Hope Worship Center, 715 S. Old Belair Road, Grovetown; 5-8 p.m. Wednesday at Trinity Baptist Church, 4594 Columbia Road, Martinez; and 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday at the Army Career Center, 4446 Washington Road, Evans. Go to www.shepeardblood.org.
CSRA Writers will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday at Georgia Military College, 115 Davis Road. Writers needing are invited to bring 10 copies of a manuscript to be critiqued. Call Steve Fox at (706) 836-7315.
The Senior Citizens Council and CSRA Senior Resource Advisors will hold a free conference for seniors and caregivers from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Oct. 18 at Aldersgate United Methodist Church, 3185 Wheeler Road. Lunch will be provided, and reservations are required by Monday by calling (706) 868-0120.
Eddie Ehlert, Georgia Sierra Club political chairman, will speak at the Augusta Sierra Club meeting at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Unitarian Universalist Church on Walton Way. Email email@example.com.
VFW Post 6445, at 6423 Wrightsboro Road, Harlem, will hold a surf and turf dinner 4-6 p.m. Saturday. Call (706) 556-9194.
Washington Commons on Washington Road will hold free Let’s Talk Seniors seminars during October, with programs on scams of seniors at 11 a.m. Tuesday, and financial planning at 7 p.m. Oct. 23. Call (706) 860-0402.
Lee Anderson and Paul Broun will be the speakers for the CSRA Republican Women’s Club rally 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Pinnacle Club Crystal Room, 699 Broad St., Augusta. Tickets cost $25, and reservations are required. Call (706) 294-7600.
The CSRA Peace Alliance general membership meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Room C, second floor of the Augusta library, 823 Telfair St. Go to http://csrapeace.org.
A dinner dance for adults only will be held 6:30 to 10 p.m. Friday at Evans Middle School to raise funds for a Bel Air Elementary student awaiting a double-lung transplant. Cost is $10, and includes a dinner buffet from Garlic Clove and music from Flashback. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are being accepted for the Miss Columbia County Fair Scholarship Pageant, to be held Saturday at Greenbrier High School. Participants ages 17-23 will be judged in interview, swimsuit and evening gown. The winner will represent Columbia County at the state competition in Atlanta.
• Friday is the deadline for vendors for the Evans Middle School fall bazaar/chili cookoff, set for Nov. 3. Email Lana.email@example.com.
• Lincoln County Elementary School PTO is seeking craft and merchandise vendors for its annual fall festival, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Tables cost $25, or $35 with electricity. Call (706) 318-4224.
• Vendors are being sought for the Christmas Craft Market at West Acres Baptist Church, Nov. 2-3. Email Cathie Rich at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (706) 860-9483.
• Vendors are being sought for the fifth annual Eryn Eubanks and the Family Fold Music Festival benefiting Lyndale Inc., 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Nov. 3 at the Kroc Center, 1833 Broad St., Augusta. Call (706)
• Lewis Memorial Church, on Hereford Farm Road at Columbia Road, is seeking vendors for its annual Christmas at the Crossroads craft bazaar, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 1. Email Hope Barker at
email@example.com, or call (706) 863-6795.
Jay Daniels will demonstrate hollow turning at the Savannah River Woodturners meeting, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at 144 N. Belair Road, Evans. Go to www.savannahriverwoodturners.org, or call Lee Carey at (706) 627-8373.
• VFW Post 6445, 6423 Wrightsboro Road, Harlem, will hold a yard sale 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Spaces, with tables provided, cost $3. Call (706) 556-9194.
• Grovetown United Methodist Church, 206 E. Robinson Ave., will hold its annual Chicken-Que from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, with dinners for $8, and a yard sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• The Brotherhood of Parkway Baptist Church, 2543 William Few Parkway, Evans, holds a turkey shoot from 7-9:30 p.m. each Thursday through Nov. 15. Call Brent Butler at (706) 799-8486.
• The Grovetown Lions Club fall turkey shoots, at 1200 Old Louisville Road, are held each Friday and Saturday through Dec. 8. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (706) 726-4302.
• VFW Post 6445, at 6423 Wrightsboro Road, Harlem, holds a turkey shoot each Saturday at 1 p.m. Call (706) 556-9194.
Bruce and Toni Hebel will be featured in the Forgiving Forward Seminar, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 23 at Savannah Rapids Pavilion. Registration costs $10. Call (706) 925-7164, or go to www.aglow.org.
Area high school bands are holding their annual citrus fruit sale fundraisers. Order from Greenbrier before Oct. 24 by calling Camille Howle at (706) 855-7177, or email email@example.com; cost is $18 per box. For Lakeside, also at $18 per box, order before Nov. 5 at www.riversweetonline.com/lhsband, or for questions email firstname.lastname@example.org. Order from Evans before Nov. 7 be calling Reid Hall at (706) 863-1198, ext. 4060, or email email@example.com.
• The Richmond Academy class of 1982 will hold its 30th reunion the weekend of Friday and Saturday. Go to www.arc82.org.
• The Evans High School class of 1987 will hold its 25th reunion Nov. 2-4. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Jennifer Sprague Crow at (706) 394-3731.
The 13th annual CSRA Parkinson Walk will be held at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Wilson Family Y, 3570 Wheeler Road, Augusta. Go to www.movingdayaugusta.org or call (706) 364-1662.
Evans Christian Academy, 213 S. Old Belair Road, will hold an SAT/ACT prep workshop from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Cost is $45. Call (706) 364-3565.
Springfield Baptist Church, 114 12th St., Augusta, will hold 10th District Mission Day at 3 p.m. Oct. 21, with old-time dress and a soul food dinner.
Vote Smart Georgia will hold an information session on Georgia’s charter schools constitutional amendment at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 22 at The Sanctuary church next to Evans High School on Cox Road.
• CareSouth Hospice, 231 Furys Ferry Road, Suite 212, Martinez, will hold a hospice volunteer training program 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 23. Call (706) 550-9966 to register.
• Alliance Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. Call Rick Boland at (706) 447-2461, or e mail email@example.com.
Sharon Baptist Church, 6262 Cobbham Road, in Winfield, will hold its free fall carnival and trunk-or-treat from 6-8 p.m. Oct. 24 for children through fifth grade. Call (706) 541-0667.
The AARP driver safety course, a refresher for motorists age 50-older, will be held 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 25 at Patriots Park, 5445 Columbia Road. Tuition costs $14, with registration required at (706) 863-2865.
Al Goodyear will discuss the Topper site in Allendale, S.C., at the meeting of the Augusta Archeological Society, 6:30 p.m. Oct. 25 at TBonz, 2856 Washington Road, Augusta.
Christ’s Sanctified Holy Church, 136 Belair Road, Evans, will hold its annual revival 7 p.m. Oct. 26, 11 a.m. Oct. 27, and 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. Oct. 28.
District Attorney Ashley Wright will be the guest speaker for the Columbia County Republican Party Breakfast at 9 a.m. Oct. 27 at Fatz Cafe, 464 N. Belair Road, Evans. Breakfast costs $7. Go to www.ccgagop.org.
Barbara Seaborn, author of As Long as the Rivers Run: A History of Columbia County, Ga., will speak at 3 p.m. Nov. 1 at the Augusta Museum of History. The program is free.
Georgia Commissioner of Agriculture Gary Black will be the guest speaker for the 75th anniversary celebration of Harlem High School’s chapter of the Future Farmers of America at 5 p.m. Nov. 10 at the high school. Tickets, which include dinner, cost $15 from the school, Columbia County Farm Bureau or Grovetown Farm and Garden. Call Dennis Gunby at (706) 466-5295, or Chuck Anderson at (706) 832-3975.
AARP Tax-Aide is seeking volunteers to assist taxpayers in filing 2012 returns. Go to www.aarp.org/tavolunteer8 or call Jim Roberts at (706) 860-6430.
Applications are being accepted through Dec. 20 for the Georgia Rotary Student Program Norway Scholarship. Single students ages 20-24 who have completed their sophomore year are eligible. The program will provide a scholarship to study June 22-Aug. 2, 2013, at the University of Oslo. Contact Pam Lightsey at firstname.lastname@example.org or (706) 840-2087.
The Healthy Heart Club, a series of cardiac health classes presented by Medical Center West Pharmacy and Warren Baptist Church, are offered from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesdays in room D103 at Warren Baptist Church, 3203 Washington Rd. The classes are free. For more information, call Kyle Pulliam at (706) 854-2424.
Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road at South Belair Road, will hold its annual pumpkin patch Oct. 7-31, from noon to 7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturdays; and 1 to 6 p.m. Sundays. Sales support missions. Go to www.marvinchurch.com.
Abilene Baptist Church, 3917 Washington Road, Martinez, will hold its inaugural fall festival from 5-7 p.m. Oct. 28, with inflatables, games, music and food. Friendly costumes are preferred. Call (706) 869-1774, or go to www.abilene1774.org.
The annual Italian Thanksgiving Feast, a fundraiser for Columbia County Cares and Golden Harvest Food Bank, will be held 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 19 at the Garlic Clove, 4534 Washington Road, Evans.
The Hearing Loss Association of Augusta meets at 5:30 p.m. on the third Monday of each month in Dining Rooms 1-6 at University Hospital. E CCNT STYLE IS WITHOUT HYPHEN: DO NOT CHANGE IT mail Gayle Tison at email@example.com.
Evans Christian Academy, 213 South Old Belair Road, holds Zumba classes from 6:15-7:16 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays. Call (706) 354-3565.
Mosaic United Methodist Church and Christ the King Lutheran Church, on Industrial Park Drive at Evans-to-Locks Road, offer free services including food, medical screening, free haircuts, GED sign-ups and job resources to community residents in need on third Saturdays each month. Call (706) 650-9187.
New MOMS Club
MOMS Club of Grovetown will celebrate the founding of the new chapter with an event 1 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 19 at the Euchee Creek Trails in Grovetown. The organization is a support group for stay-at-home moms. Call Melissa Blizzard at (402) 680-4260, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Southeastern Firefighters Burn Foundation Burn Survivors Support Group meets at 2 p.m. on the second Wednesday of each month at the foundation office, 3614 J. Dewey Gray Circle, Building C., Augusta. Call 1 (800) 650-BURN, or go to www.sfbf.net.
The Columbia County Orchestra 2012-13 concert season includes performances Oct. 27, Jan. 26, March 16, April 20 and May 3 at the Jabez Sanford Hardin Performing Arts Center in Evans. Go to www.columbiacco.org.
Shepeard Community Blood Center will hold a blood drive 8 a.m. to noon Nov. 1 at Georgia Military College, 115 Davis Road, Martinez. Go to www www.shepeardblood.org.
• Marvin Methodist Preschool, 4400 Wheeler Road, Martinez offers preschool for 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds. Call Ginger Gruba at (706) 868-8877.
• Trinity Baptist Preschool, 4594 Columbia Road, Martinez, offers preschool for 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds. Call Shannon Story at (706) 799-0637.
• Spaces are available at Grace Baptist Preschool, 4945 Hardy McManus Road, Evans, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Call Lisa Wamack at (706) 868-9729.
• Warren Baptist Church holds weekday preschool and mother’s day out classes for ages 1 through pre-K 4. Call (706) 860-6878 or go to www.warrenbaptist.org.
Overeaters Anonymous meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, 3551 Wheeler Road, Augusta, and 1:30 p.m. Saturdays at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 3131 Walton Way, Augusta. Call (706) 541-0580, or e CCNT STYLE IS WITHOUT HYPHEN: DO NOT CHANGE IT mail email@example.com.
Georgia Health Sciences holds a free weight loss surgery seminar at 7 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month at the Columbia County Library in Evans. Go to www.georgiahealth.org/weightloss, or call (706) 721-2609.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a nonprofit weight-loss support group, meets on the following dates:
• Harlem Baptist Church, 8:45 a.m. Thursdays; (706) 556-3309.
• Grovetown United Methodist Church, 206 E. Robinson Ave., 6 p.m. Thursdays; (706) 863-0726.
• Pine View Baptist Church, 119 Pleasant Home Road, 4:45 p.m. each Tuesday; (706) 863-6525.
The East Georgia Genealogical Society, which encompasses an area that includes Columbia County, meets at 7 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month at the L.D.S. Church, 36 Sims Road, Winder, Ga. Go to www.eastgagenealogy.com.
MOMS Club of Evans is selling cookbooks for $15, with all proceeds supporting Ronald McDonald House of Augusta. E CCNT STYLE IS WITHOUT HYPHEN: DO NOT CHANGE IT mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best Western Evans Hotel, 452 Park West Drive, off Dyess Parkway, is a donation site for Cell Phones for Soldiers. Go to www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com.
Helping Hands Thrift Store, operated by the Columbia County Foundation for Children at 6347 Columbia Road, Appling, is open Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on first Saturdays.
Three rooms of meeting space are available to community groups at no charge at Mosaic United Methodist Church, 478 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. E CCNT STYLE IS WITHOUT HYPHEN: DO NOT CHANGE IT mail email@example.com, or call (706) 650-9187.
The organization Vets to Washington is seeking World War II vets for three-day, expenses-paid trips to Washington, D.C., to tour the World War II memorial and others in the area. For information or to donate to help provide the trips, call (706) 832-6483, or go to www.vetstowashington.com.
Columbia County Library in Evans needs donations of used books to sell in the Friends of the Library store. Drop off donations at the library, or call Barbara Williams at (706) 863-8760.
The clothes closet at Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road at South Belair Road, is open Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for donations. Clothes are available for those in need. Call (706) 863-0510.
Friends Stepping Up, a nonprofit organization for mildly challenged teens and young adults, meets once a month for activities. For information, parents or guardians should call (706) 771-0087.
USA Dance Chapter 6074 holds monthly dances at the Elks Lodge in Martinez. Call (803) 270-5470 or go to www.augustadancing.org.
Celebrate Recovery meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday evenings at The Sanctuary Church, 302 Byrd Road, Evans. Call (706) 421-0089.
The Leah High School and Community Museum, located at the Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue station at 3653 Ray Owens Road, in Appling, is now open from 10 a.m. to noon on the first Tuesday of each month and on Saturdays by appointment. Donations of archival and historical material still are being sought. Call (706) 541-0043.
The Columbia County Choral Society is open to all singers in the area. Rehearsals are held at First Baptist Church of Evans. Call (706)650-2311 or go to www.ccchoralsociety.org.
The Augusta Elks Club, off Furys Ferry Road in Martinez, holds a dance with a live band each Friday at 8 p.m. Cost is $10 per person. Call (706) 564-1642.
Safe Kids East Central Georgia conducts free child safety child safety seat inspections on the second Wednesday of each month at the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office Substation, 650 Ronald Reagan Drive, Evans. Call (706) 541-3970 or go to www.mcghealth.org.
Hope Soap, a private, nonprofit agency that collects toiletries and packages and distributes them to area shelters, has collection sites in the community. Donations, particularly of personal-sized items from hotels, may be brought to The Columbia County News-Times, in the Publix shopping center on Washington Road, Evans, and Wild Birds Unlimited, West Town Shopping Center, Martinez.
Mosaic United Methodist Church’s Celebrate Recovery program holds weekly group sessions at 7 p.m. each Friday at the church at 678 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. Call (706) 877-6468, or go to www.mosaicumc.org.
The MCG Breast Cancer Support Group meets on the second Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the first-floor community room at the MCGHealth Cancer Center, 1411 Laney-Walker Blvd. Call (706) 721-4109 or go to www.mcghealth.org.
The Columbia County Civic Orchestra holds weekly rehearsals 7:15-9:15 p.m. Mondays in the music suite at West Acres Baptist Church, 555 Gibbs Road, Evans. Returning and new musicians are welcome. The Youth Orchestra holds rehearsals 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays in the Augusta Christian band room, 313 Baston Road. Call Rob Nordan at (706) 860-6573, ext. 114, or go to www.columbiacco.org.
Augusta Christian Singles meets at the Ballroom Dance Center, 525 Grand Slam Drive, off Evans-to-Locks Road, from 7-11 p.m. each Saturday. Cost is $8 for members, $10 for guests. Call Barbara Nash at (803) 640-2075.
The Marine Corps League Riverfront Marines Detachment 1132, meets the second Thursday of each month at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 1002 Carolina Ave., North Augusta, with dinner at 6 p.m. and the meeting at 7 p.m. Contact Paul Brewer at (706) 306-6667 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
An ostomy support group will meets at 6 p.m. on the second Monday of each month at Barney’s Pharmacy on Peach Orchard Road in Augusta. Call (706) 798-5645.
Fort Gordon’s Survivor Outreach Services, for families of deceased soldiers, is available at (706) 787-4767 or at myarmyonesource.com.
Three Alzheimer’s caregiver support groups meet in Columbia County.
• Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church, 5555 Hereford Farm Road: 7 p.m., second Tuesday each month. Call (706) 541-0085 or (706) 541-0185.
• Morningside of Evans, 353 N. Belair Road: 11 a.m., second Saturday each month. Call (706) 228-4709.
• Brandon Wilde, 4275 Owens Road: 7 p.m., third Tuesday each month. Ccall (706) 854-3519.
The Women’s Veterans Club meets at 11 a.m. the first Saturday of each month. Dues cost $24 per year. Call April Starks at (706) 868-5601.
The Grovetown Lions Club offers financial assistance for qualifying Grovetown individuals in the purchase of eyeglasses. Write to Grovetown Lions Club Eyeglass Program, P.O. Box 248, Grovetown, GA 30813.
• The Grovetown Senior Center is seeking volunteer, licensed drivers with their own vehicles to deliver meals to shut-ins in the Grovetown area. Call (706) 210-8699.
• Regency Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. Call Nancy Browning at (706) 868-4422.
• Golden Harvest Food Bank is seeking volunteers to help sort donations in the warehouse. Call (706) 736-1199.
• Safe Kids East Central Georgia is seeking volunteers to help with events, such as car seat and bicycle checks, and to lead ongoing programs that teach safety to children and teens. Training is provided. Call (706) 721-7606.
• Volunteer opportunities are available at the Columbia County Library in Evans. Call Jessica Thompson at (706) 863-1946, or e CCNT STYLE IS WITHOUT HYPHEN: DO NOT CHANGE IT mail email@example.com.
• The American Cancer Society’s Augusta chapter is seeking volunteer drivers for its Road to Recovery program, which provides transportation to cancer patients. Call (706) 731-9900.
Doctors Hospital offers a variety of classes each month. Call (706) 651-2450, or go to www.doctors-hospital.net.
The Georgia Forestry Commission, Columbia County Unit, offers advice to all Columbia County residents on whether their home is in line of fire from brush or wild land fires. Call (706) 556-3962.