• Boy Scout Troop 643 will pick up Christmas trees in the Martinez/Evans area for recycling as a fundraiser. Schedule pickup times for Saturday by calling (706) 373-8922 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The cost is $10 per tree.
• Christmas trees may be dropped off for recycling at Riverside Middle School on Furys Ferry Road in Evans through Friday. The trees will be used for fish habitat at the lake by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
• Trees may be dropped off until Saturday at Home Depot on Belair Road in Evans for Columbia County’s Bring One for the Chipper event, to be held 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
St. Teresa of Avila Catholic Church, 4921 Columbia Road, will hold a seven-week program, Awakening Faith, to give inactive Catholics a forum to rekindle their faith. The program begins at 7:30 p.m. today in Classroom 4 of the Education Building. Contact Joe or Mary Soparas at (706) 364-9289 or at email@example.com.
The Augusta Alzheimer’s Association will present its free six-week educational series, Powerful Tools for Caregivers, starting Jan. 10 from 2:30-4 p.m. at the Kroc Center, 1833 Broad St., Augusta. Class size is limited and registration is required before Friday by calling (800) 272-3900.
Elvis tribute artist Jeff Barnes will perform from 7-9 p.m. Saturday at Greenbrier High School in a fundraiser for the school’s Junior ROTC program. Tickets cost $10 for adults or $7 for students, and are available at (706) 831-0094 or (706) 394-3916.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a nonprofit weight-loss support group, meets on the following dates:
• Harlem Baptist Church, 8:45 a.m. each Thursday; (706) 556-3309.
• Grovetown United Methodist Church, 206 E. Robinson Ave., 6 p.m. each Thursday; (706) 863-0726.
• Pine View Baptist Church, 119 Pleasant Home Road, 4:45 p.m. each Tuesday; (706) 863-6525.
The inaugural performance of the Columbia County Chamber Orchestra will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday at 470 Furys Ferry Road, featuring Bulgarian teenage pianist Lili Bogdanova. Admission costs $10. For more information, call (706) 755-5849.
Area podiatrists are collecting new and used shoes for distribution to those in need. Shoes of all sizes, types and condition may be brought to any podiatrist’s office through Saturday. For information, call Dr. Kent Kronowski at (706) 724-0586.
The Columbia County Choral Society will hold auditions for the 2012 spring season, which will feature John Rutter’s Requiem, from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday at First Baptist Church of Evans. Call (706) 650-2311 or go to www.ccchoralsociety.org.
The Evans chapter of MOMS Club International will hold its fourth annual Preschool and Mom’s Morning Out Fair from 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 28 at First Baptist Church of Augusta. The event is free. Area p Preschools and mom’s morning out programs wishing to participate are asked to contact the Evans MOMS C club at firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan. 13.
Charlotte Ritchie will perform in concert at 6 p.m. Jan. 15 at Pine View Baptist Church, 115 Pleasant Home Road.
MOMS Club of Evans is selling cookbooks for $15, with all proceeds supporting Ronald McDonald House of Augusta. For information, e-mail email@example.com.
The Augusta Council of Garden Clubs is sponsoring two series of classes on basic horticulture, from Jan. 14-June 9, $25 per session, and landscape design, from Jan. 6-May 5, $70 per two-day session. Classes will be held at Aldersgate United Methodist Church, 3185 Wheeler Road, Augusta. To register, call Ginny Allen at (706) 736-6793 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fatz Cafe in Evans will hold fundraiser pancake breakfasts 8-10 a.m. Jan. 14 for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and Jan. 28 for the Lakeside High School baseball team.
Shepeard Community Blood Center will hold blood drives during January at the following dates and locations:
• Jan. 15, Wesley United Methodist Church, 825 N. Belair Road, Evans, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
• Jan. 17, Westmont Elementary School, 4558 Oakley Pirkle Road, Martinez, 6:30-8 p.m.
• Jan. 18, Harlem United Methodist Church, 115 Milledgeville Road, Harlem, 3-7 p.m.
• Jan. 18, Greater Augusta Apostolic Church, 4406 Wrightsboro Road, Grovetown, 5-8:30 p.m.
• Jan. 20, Morningside Assisted Living, 353 N. Belair Road, Evans, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Jan. 22, New Hope Worship Center, 715 S. Old Belair Road, Grovetown, 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Jan. 28, Walmart, Grovetown, 5010 Steiner Way, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For information, go to www.shepeardblood.org.
Best Western Evans Hotel, 452 Park West Drive, off Dyess Parkway, is a donation site for Cell Phones for Soldiers. For more information, go to www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com.
Spaces are available at Grace Baptist Preschool, 4945 Hardy McManus Road, Evans, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday. For information, call Lisa Wamack at (706) 868-9729.
The first performance of the Augusta Amusements Big Band will be held at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 11 at the Jabez Sanford Hardin Performing Arts Center in the Columbia County Library. Tickets cost $20 and $25. For information, go to www.augustaamusements.com, or call (706) 724-0366.
Vince Dooley will be the featured speaker for the CSRA Hydrangea Conference, 8:30 a.m. June 7 at Savannah Rapids Pavilion. For information, go to csrahydrangeasociety.org.
Three rooms of meeting space are available to community groups at no charge at Mosaic United Methodist Church, 478 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. For information, email email@example.com, or call (706) 650-9187.
The organization Vets to Washington is seeking World War II vets for three-day, expense-paid trips to Washington, D.C., to tour the World War II memorial and others in the area. For information or to donate to help provide the trips, call (706) 832-6483, or go to www.vetstowashington.com.
Helping Hands Thrift Store, 6347 Columbia Road is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month. The store is operated by the Columbia County Foundation for Children.
Columbia County Library in Evans needs donations of used books to sell in the Friends of the Library store. Drop off donations at the library, or call Barbara Williams at (706) 863-8760.
The clothes closet at Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road at South Belair Road, is open Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for donations. Clothes are available for those in need. For information, call (706) 863-0510.
Friends Stepping Up, a nonprofit organization for mildly challenged teens and young adults, meets once a month for activities. For information, parents or guardians should call (706) 771-0087.
USA Dance Chapter 6074 holds monthly dances at the Elks Lodge in Martinez. For information, call (803) 270-5470 or go to www.augustadancing.org.
Celebrate Recovery meets each Tuesday evening at The Sanctuary Church, 302 Byrd Road, Evans. For information, call Matt Lever at (706) 421-0089.
The Leah High School and Community Museum, located at the Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue station at 3653 Ray Owens Road, in Appling, is now open from 10 a.m. to noon on the first Tuesday of each month and on Saturdays by appointment. Donations of archival and historical material still are being sought. For information, (706) 541-0043.
The Columbia County Choral Society is open to all singers in the area. Rehearsals are held at First Baptist Church of Evans. For information and a rehearsal schedule, call (706)650-2311 or go to www.ccchoralsociety.org.
The Augusta Elks Club, off Furys Ferry Road in Martinez, holds a dance with a live band each Friday at 8 p.m. Cost is $10 per person. For information, call (706) 564-1642.
Safe Kids East Central Georgia conducts free child safety child safety seat inspections on the second Wednesday of each month at the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office Substation, 650 Ronald Reagan Drive, Evans. For an appointment, call (706) 541-3970 or go to www.mcghealth.org.
Hope Soap, a private, nonprofit agency that collects toiletries and packages and distributes them to area shelters, has collection sites in the community. Donations, particularly of personal-sized items from hotels, may be brought to The Columbia County News-Times, in the Publix shopping center on Washington Road, Evans, and Wild Birds Unlimited, West Town Shopping Center, Martinez.
Mosaic United Methodist Church’s Celebrate Recovery program holds weekly group sessions at 7 p.m. each Friday at the church at 678 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. For information, call (706) 877-6468, or go to www.mosaicumc.org.
The MCG Breast Cancer Support Group meets on the second Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the first-floor community room at the MCGHealth Cancer Center, 1411 Laney-Walker Blvd. For information, call (706) 721-4109 or go to mcghealth.org.
The Columbia County Civic Orchestra holds weekly rehearsals 7:15-9:15 p.m. Mondays in the music suite at West Acres Baptist Church, 555 Gibbs Road, Evans. Returning and new musicians are welcome. The Youth Orchestra holds rehearsals 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays in the Augusta Christian band room, 313 Baston Road. For information, call Rob Nordan at (706) 860-6573, ext. 114, or go to www.columbiacco.org.
Augusta Christian Singles meets at the Ballroom Dance Center, 525 Grand Slam Drive, off Evans-to-Locks Road, from 7-11 p.m. each Saturday. Cost is $8 for members, $10 for guests. For information, call Barbara Nash at (803) 640-2075.
The Helping Hands Thrift Store, operated by Columbia County Foundation for Children at 6347 Columbia Road, is open 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first Saturday each month. For information, call (706) 541-2849.
Warren Baptist Church holds weekday preschool and mother’s day out classes for ages 1 through preK 4. For information, call (706) 860-6878 or go to warrenbaptist.org.
The Marine Corps League Riverfront Marines Detachment 1132, meets the second Thursday of every month at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 1002 Carolina Ave., North Augusta, with dinner at 6 p.m. and the meeting at 7 p.m. For information, contact Paul Brewer at (706) 306-6667 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fort Gordon’s Survivor Outreach Services, for families of deceased soldiers, is available at (706) 787-4767 or at myarmyonesource.com.
The Hearing Loss Association of Augusta meets at 5:30 p.m. on the third Monday each month at Room 100 of the Adult Building of First Baptist Church of Augusta. For information, call Debbie Rish at (706) 650-2496, or e-mail email@example.com.
Three Alzheimer’s caregiver support groups meet in Columbia County.
• Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church, 5555 Hereford Farm Road: 7 p.m., second Tuesday each month. For information, call (706) 541-0085 or (706) 541-0185.
• Morningside of Evans, 353 N. Belair Road: 11 a.m., second Saturday each month. For information, call (706) 228-4709.
• Brandon Wilde, 4275 Owens Road: 7 p.m., third Tuesday each month. For information, call (706) 854-3519.
Spaces are available at the Grace Baptist Preschool, 4945 Hardy McManus Road, Evans. For information, call (706) 868-9729.
The clothes closet in the family life center at Marvin United Methodist Church, Belair at Wheeler Road, is open Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Clothing is free, but donations are welcome.
The Augusta Choral Society (ACS) is seeking new members for its 2010-2011 season. For information, go to www.augustachoralsociety.org or call (706) 826-4713.
The Women’s Veterans Club meets at 11 a.m. the first Saturday of each month. Dues cost $24 per year. For information, call April Starks at (706) 868-5601.
The Grovetown Lions Club offers financial assistance for qualifying Grovetown individuals in the purchase of eyeglasses. For information, write to Grovetown Lions Club Eyeglass Program, P.O. Box 248, Grovetown, GA 30813.
• The Grovetown Senior Center is seeking volunteer, licensed drivers with their own vehicles to deliver meals to shut-ins in the Grovetown area. For information, call (706) 210-8699.
• Regency Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. For information, call Nancy Browning at (706) 868-4422.
• Golden Harvest Food Bank is seeking volunteers to help sort donations in the warehouse. For information, call (706) 736-1199.
• Safe Kids East Central Georgia is seeking volunteers to help with events, such as car seat and bicycle checks, and to lead ongoing programs that teach safety to children and teens. Training is provided. For information, call (706) 721-7606.
• Volunteer opportunities are available at the Columbia County Library in Evans. For information, call Jessica Thompson at (706) 863-1946, or e-mail jthompson@ columbiacountyga.gov.
• The American Cancer Society’s Augusta chapter is seeking volunteer drivers for its Road to Recovery program, which provides transportation to cancer patients. For information, call (706) 731-9900.
• Hospice Care of America is seeking volunteers. For information, call Rick Boland at (706) 447-2626.
Doctors Hospital offers a variety of classes each month. For information on all classes, call (706) 651-2450, or go to www.doctors-hospital.net.
The Georgia Forestry Commission, Columbia County Unit, offers advice to all Columbia County residents on whether their home is in line of fire from brush or wild land fires. For information, call (706) 556-3962.