The Monster Dash 5K Race will begin with an 8 a.m. registration Saturday at Blanchard Woods Park. For information, call Ken at (706) 312-7402.
Tabernacle Baptist Church of Lincolnton, Ga., will hold its annual Shining for Christ Car Show from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at 673 Elm St., Lincolnton, with proceeds supporting church ministries. For information, call (706) 825-2221 or e-mail email@example.com.
Gospel Water Branch Baptist Church, 703 Furys Ferry Road, Evans, will celebrate its fifth annual Ministries Day at 10:45 a.m. Sunday. For information, call (706) 860-7091.
Trick or Treat
Local businesses are being sought for "Trick or Treat So Others Can Eat," which will be held 5:30-8:30 p.m. Monday at Patriots Park gym. For information, call Virginia at (706) 312-7194.
Mistletoe State Park's Brenda Betross will present a program about volunteer opportunities at the October meeting of the Sierra Club, 6:30 p.m. Monday at the Unitarian Universalist Church, 3501 Walton Way Extension. For information, contact Judy Gordon at gordon
Civil War buffs
The Augusta Civil War Round Table will meet at 6 p.m. Monday at T Bonz on Washington Road in Augusta. for information, call (706) 832-5326.
Bible Fellowship Church, 3701 Old Petersburg Road in Martinez, is celebrating the 53rd anniversary of The Byrd Family Gospel Singers through Monday.
• A turkey shoot to support the Riverview United Methodist Church building fund will be held 5:30-9:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the church, 1244 Furys Ferry Road, Evans. Cost is $5 per shot, with shells provided. Whole barbecue butts will be available for $25 each.
• The Grovetown Lions Club is holding its fundraising turkey shoot at 7 p.m. each Friday and Saturday night through Dec. 10 at 1200 Old Louisville Road. Contact Gary Rausch at (706) 726-4303 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• VFW Post 6445, 6423 Wrightsboro Road, Harlem, will hold turkey shoots at 2 p.m. each Saturday through Dec. 17. For information, call (706) 556-9194.
• Vendors are being sought for the Christmas Craft Market to be held Nov. 5 at West Acres Baptist Church on Gibbs Road in Evans. Spaces cost $25. For information, call Cathie Rich at (706) 860-9483 or e-mail email@example.com. Deadline to sign up is Sunday.
• Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road, is seeking vendors for its craft show Nov. 19. Spaces are available for $25. For information, call Margaret at (706) 210-0893, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church, Columbia Road at Hereford Farm Road, is seeking vendors for its Dec. 3 Christmas at the Crossroads craft show. Vendor spaces cost $25. For information, call (706) 863-6795, or e-mail email@example.com.
Applications are being accepted for contestants in the 2011 Columbia County Fair Pageant to be held Oct. 22. The pageant is for single women ages 17- 23 and includes interview, swimsuit and evening gown competition, with scholarships totaling $1,000 to be awarded. The winner will represent Columbia County in the state pageant in Atlanta in January. For information, call Pat Becton at (706) 863-7645 or go to www.columbiacountyfair.net.
• The Lakeside High School Band is holding its annual fruit sale through Nov. 10, with boxes of Indian River ruby red grapefruit, navel oranges or tangelos available for $17 each. Local orders only, with delivery in December. For information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Corner Pumpkin Patch at Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road at S. Belair Road, is open noon-7 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturdays and 1-6 p.m. Sundays through Oct. 31. For information, call (706) 863-0510, or go to www.marvinchurch.com.
Three rooms of meeting space are available to community groups at no charge at Mosaic United Methodist Church, 478 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. For information, email email@example.com, or call (706) 650-9187.
The organization Vets to Washington is seeking World War II veterans for three-day, expense-paid trips to Washington, D.C., to tour the World War II memorial and others in the area. For information or to donate to help provide the trips, call (706) 832-6483, or go to www.vetstowashington.com.
The Columbia County Health Department is holding flu clinics with vaccines for $25 and mists for $35, and high-dose vaccines for patients 65 and older for $45. The clinics are being held at the health department, 1930 William Few Parkway, and at other sites in the county. For information, call (706) 868-3330.
The Augusta Area Newcomers Club will hold a luncheon at 10 a.m. Oct. 20 at Savannah Rapids Pavilion. For information, go to www.augustanewcomers.net or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (706) 868-3668.
Marshall Family Y will hold free Parents Night Out for children of deployed soldiers 6-9:30 p.m. Oct. 22. Register at the Marshall Family Y or at www.thefamilyy.org.
A ceremony to open the Evans Town Center Park will be held 2-9 p.m. Oct. 22 with children's activities and performances by Rick Monroe and other musical guests from the Get UR Country On Tour sponsored by Jagermeister. The event is free. for information, call Keela Colombraro at (706) 312-7192.
The Korean Martial Arts Academy Tae Guek Won is holding a fundraiser and demonstration for St Jude Children's Hospital 4-9 p.m. Oct. 22 at Adventure Crossing. Students are collecting donations until the day of the event. For information, call (7060 651-0010.
Cut for Cure
The annual Cut for a Cure fundraiser for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation will be held 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 24 at Retreat Spa and Salon, 4246 Washington Road, Evans, with free haircuts and other spa services. For information, call (706) 364-8292.
Maj. Jennifer Pugliese, M.D., assistant chief of urology at Eisenhower Army Medical Center, will discuss how urinary symptoms for Parkinson patients at the monthly meeting of the CSRA Parkinson Support Group, at 6 p.m. Oct. 25 in the St. John Tower Dining Room, 724 Greene St., Augusta. For information, call (706) 365-1622.
The clothes closet at Marvin United Methodist Church, 4400 Wheeler Road at South Belair Road, is open Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for donations. Clothes are available for those in need. For information, call (706) 863-0510.
The Georgia Farm Bureau Federation is accepting applications from farmers to be listed in its 2012 Georgia Farm Bureau Quality Hay and Poultry Litter Directory and its 2012 Georgia Farm Bureau Pollination Directory. All members with hay, poultry litter or bee pollination services can receive applications at www.gfb.org/commodities, or call (706) 556-6258 for information. The deadline is Oct. 28.
Helping Hands Thrift Store, 6347 Columbia Road is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month. The store is operated by the Columbia County Foundation for Children.
Applications are being accepted for the 37th annual Grovetown Christmas Parade, to be held at noon Dec. 3. For information, go to www.cityofgrovetown.com.
• The Evans High School class of 1987 is seeking classmates for their 25th reunion. Send contact information to email@example.com.
• The Glenn Hills High school class of 1971, along with the classes of 1970 and '72, will hold a reunion Oct. 22. For information, call Rodney Strother at (706) 722-4813, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Butler High School class of 1981 will hold a 30-year reunion Nov. 12. Send contact information to email@example.com, or call (706) 860-8169.
Beverly Roberts, Area XII director of the Georgia Retired Educators Association, will be the guest speaker at 11 a.m. Oct. 25 at the meeting of the Retired Teachers of Columbia County at Ryan's Steakhouse on Bobby Jones Expressway in Martinez. For information, call (706) 210-4327.
Lakeside High School's Battle of the Bands will be held at 6 p.m. Oct. 28. Admission costs $5; students under age 13 must be accompanied by an adult. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Evans Christian Academy will hold an SAT workshop from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 29. For information, call (706) 364-3565.
The Evans Chapter of MOMS Club International will hold a free children's concert featuring the U.S. Army Signal Corps Band Decibels 11 a.m. to noon Nov. 4 at the amphitheater behind the Columbia County Library in Evans. For information, email email@example.com.
District 4 Commissioner Bill Morris will hold an open-forum town hall meeting 10-11 a.m. Nov. 5 at the Columbia County Courthouse in Appling.
Evans Christian Academy will hold its fall festival at 7 p.m. Nov. 12. For information, call (706) 364-3565.
Sharon Baptist Church will present its annual Hayride Through the Life of Christ at the Columbia County Fair Grounds, 7-9 p.m. Dec. 8-11. Admission and hot chocolate are free, with nightly musical entertainment.
Karen Hernandez, of Evans, local area representative for World Heritage Student Exchange Programs, is seeking local host families. For information, call (706) 373-6626.
The Columbia County Library in Evans needs donations of used books to sell in the Friends of the Library store. Drop off donations at the library, or call Barbara Williams at (706) 863-8760.
Best Western Evans Hotel, 452 Park West Drive, off Dyess Parkway, is a donation site for Cell Phones for Soldiers. Phones are refurbished and resold, with phone cards sent to deployed soldiers. Phones can be dropped off at any time. For more information, go to www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com.
Friends Stepping Up, a nonprofit organization for mildly challenged teens and young adults, meets once a month for activities. For information, parents or guardians should call (706) 771-0087.
USA Dance Chapter 6074 holds monthly dances at the Elks Lodge in Martinez. For information, call (803) 270-5470 or go to www.augustadancing.org.
Celebrate Recovery meets each Tuesday evening at The Sanctuary Church, 302 Byrd Road, Evans. For information, call Matt Lever at (706) 421-0089.
Hospice Care of America needs patient care and administrative volunteers in Columbia County. Training is provided. For information, call Rick Boland at (706) 447-2626, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Leah High School and Community Museum, located at the Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue station at 3653 Ray Owens Road, in Appling, is now open from 10 a.m. to noon on the first Tuesday of each month and on Saturdays by appointment. Donations of archival and historical material still are being sought. For information, (706) 541-0043.
TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), nonprofit weight-loss support groups, meeting on the following dates:
• Harlem Baptist Church, 9 a.m. each Thursday; (706) 556-3309.
• Grovetown United Methodist Church, 206 E. Robinson Ave., 6 p.m. each Thursday; (706) 863-0726.
• Pine View Baptist Church, 119 Pleasant Home Road, 4:45 p.m. each Tuesday; (706) 863-6525.
The Columbia County Choral Society is open to all singers in the area. Rehearsals are held at First Baptist Church of Evans. For information and a rehearsal schedule, call (706)650-2311 or go to www.ccchoralsociety.org.
The Augusta Elks Club, off Furys Ferry Road in Martinez, holds a dance with a live band each Friday at 8 p.m. Cost is $10 per person. For information, call (706) 564-1642.
Safe Kids East Central Georgia conducts free child safety child safety seat inspections on the second Wednesday of each month at the Columbia County Sheriff's Office Substation, 650 Ronald Reagan Drive, Evans. For an appointment, call (706) 541-3970 or go to www.mcghealth.org.
Hope Soap, a private, nonprofit agency that collects toiletries and packages and distributes them to area shelters, has collection sites in the community. Donations, particularly of personal-sized items from hotels, may be brought to The Columbia County News-Times, in the Publix shopping center on Washington Road, Evans, and Wild Birds Unlimited, West Town Shopping Center, Martinez.
Mosaic United Methodist Church's Celebrate Recovery program holds weekly group sessions at 7 p.m. each Friday at the church at 678 Columbia Industrial Blvd., Evans. For information, call (706) 877-6468, or go to www.mosaicumc.org.
The MCG Breast Cancer Support Group meets on the second Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the first-floor community room at the MCGHealth Cancer Center, 1411 Laney-Walker Blvd. For information, call (706) 721-4109 or go to mcghealth.org.
The Columbia County Civic Orchestra holds weekly rehearsals 7:15-9:15 p.m. Mondays in the music suite at West Acres Baptist Church, 555 Gibbs Road, Evans. Returning and new musicians are welcome. The Youth Orchestra holds rehearsals 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays in the Augusta Christian band room, 313 Baston Road. For information, call Rob Nordan at (706) 860-6573, ext. 114, or go to www.columbiacco.org.
Augusta Christian Singles meets at the Ballroom Dance Center, 525 Grand Slam Drive, off Evans-to-Locks Road, from 7-11 p.m. each Saturday. Cost is $8 for members, $10 for guests. For information, call Barbara Nash at (803) 640-2075.
The Helping Hands Thrift Store, operated by Columbia County Foundation for Children at 6347 Columbia Road, is open 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first Saturday each month. For information, call (706) 541-2849.
Three Alzheimer's caregiver support groups meet in Columbia County.
• Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church, 5555 Hereford Farm Road: 7 p.m., second Tuesday each month. For information, call (706) 541-0085 or (706) 541-0185.
• Morningside of Evans, 353 N. Belair Road: 11 a.m., second Saturday each month. For information, call (706) 228-4709.
• Brandon Wilde, 4275 Owens Road: 7 p.m., third Tuesday each month. For information, call (706) 854-3519.
The clothes closet in the family life center at Marvin United Methodist Church, Belair at Wheeler Road, is open Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Clothing is free, but donations are welcome.
The Women's Veterans Club meets at 11 a.m. the first Saturday of each month. Dues cost $24 per year. For information, call April Starks at (706) 868-5601.
• The Grovetown Senior Center is seeking volunteer, licensed drivers with their own vehicles to deliver meals to shut-ins in the Grovetown area. For information, call (706) 210-8699.
• Regency Hospice is seeking volunteers. Training is provided. For information, call Nancy Browning at (706) 868-4422.
• Golden Harvest Food Bank is seeking volunteers to help sort donations in the warehouse. For information, call (706) 736-1199.
• Safe Kids East Central Georgia is seeking volunteers to help with events, such as car seat and bicycle checks, and to lead ongoing programs that teach safety to children and teens. Training is provided. For information, call (706) 721-7606.
• Volunteer opportunities are available at the Columbia County Library in Evans. For information, call Jessica Thompson at (706) 863-1946, or e-mail jthompson@ columbiacountyga.gov.
• The American Cancer Society's Augusta chapter is seeking volunteer drivers for its Road to Recovery program, which provides transportation to cancer patients. For information, call (706) 731-9900.
• Hospice Care of America is seeking volunteers. For information, call Rick Boland at (706) 447-2626.
Doctors Hospital offers a variety of classes each month. For information on all classes, call (706) 651-2450, or go to www.doctors-hospital.net.
The Georgia Forestry Commission, Columbia County Unit, offers advice to all Columbia County residents on whether their home is in line of fire from brush or wild land fires. For information, call (706) 556-3962.