• Byron Thomas, a sophomore at the University of South Carolina Beaufort, was inducted into the Gamma Beta Phi Society on Nov. 11. The society is a national honor and service organization recognizing and promoting academic excellence.
Public school systems in Aiken and Edgefield counties showed some improvement in their ratings in 2012, according to the South Carolina Department of Education's state and district report cards released Nov. 13.
BEHIND THE VEIL MINISTRIES INTERNATIONAL
• Prayer group meets at 11 a.m. Fridays in the sanctuary.
BELVEDERE FIRST BAPTIST
• The men's prayer breakfast is at 7 a.m. on the first and third Wednesdays of the month at Sunrise Grill.
City tree lighting will be Tuesday
The North Augusta Christmas Tree Lighting Festival will be held Tuesday from 5 to 8 p.m. at Calhoun Park and at Lookaway Inn.
The tree lighting will take place about 6 p.m.
NAMS basketball teams announced
The following pupils made the North Augusta Middle School’s boys’ basketball team: Jadon Daughtery, Reames Meyer, Cameron Davis, Josh Gordon, Austin Mills, Darius Copeland, Tavion Davis, Landon Washington, Ryan Walden, Dreke Waltower, Tyrek Walls,...
• North Augusta Middle vs. Schofield Middle, away, 5:30 p.m.
• Paul Knox Middle vs. Merriwether Middle, away, 5:30 p.m.
• Victory Christian vs. Fountain Inn Christian, home, 7 p.m.
• Fox Creek High vs.
When superstorm Sandy hit in late October, Briana Gallo felt compelled to do something.
"I use to live in New Jersey, so it hurt me when I saw the pain people were going through," said the 14-year-old freshman at North Augusta High School.
Man threatens teen with knife
A 54-year-old Augusta man was arrested and charged with assault and battery second degree after he chased a teen and threatened to kill him.
North Augusta Public Safety was called to the 2000 block of Wren Road around 6 p.
Humanitree House and UpRising Enterprises will host the second annual Pre-Kwanzaa Cultural Community Celebration and Marketplace from 2 to 7 p.m. on Dec. 9 at Warren Road Community Center, 300 Warren Road, in Augusta.