• Comment

Police blotter

Posted: March 8, 2017 - 2:06am

The following were taken from reports by the Columbia County Sheriff's Office:


Police report package was harmless

Police have given the all clear at the Evans government complex after determining that a suspicious package had been mistakenly left behind by someone.

According to Maj. Steve Morris, the building on Ronald Reagan Drive was evacuated and the parking lot was cleared after a call to report a suspicious package (a briefcase) at Building C was called in around 10 a.m. Tuesday.

Police arrived on scene and detained the owner of the briefcase for questioning and determined that he left the briefcase behind by mistake.

Building C, which includes the tax assessor and tax commissioner's offices, was evacuated and the parking lot cleared of all traffic for safety.


Man says he lost $1,551 in travel scam

A man fell victim to an online scam for more than $1,500.

He told police that he began the process to book a hotel in Canada that he found on Tripadvisor.com by following instructions that were emailed to him, according to the incident report.

The victim told police that he sent money orders totaling $1,551.23 to the instructed location. When he contacted Tripadvisor.com, he was informed that personnel were unaware of the reservation and that the confirmation number he was given, DA3591, was not the format the company uses.

The victim was unable to get back in touch with the person with whom he was making the arrangements initially.


Fight ends in woman's arrest

An intoxicated woman was arrested for battery after punching her husband in the face.

Police responded to the 300 block of Annie Laurie Drive in Grovetown on Sunday to calls of a domestic disturbance.

Upon arrival, police said Kelsey O'Neal was attempting to take her child away and her husband was attempting to stop her from leaving.

A fight occurred, and O'Neal's husband suffered a cut across his nose, and O'Neal suffered injuries to her hand from punching him in the face, according to the incident report.

O'Neal told police that she was taking her child and that her husband tried to stop her and take the child away, which is what led to the fight.

The husband told police that O'Neal had been drinking and had no valid license, so he told her not to take the child anywhere. O'Neal then hit him in the face several times and drove to the end of the street in a truck.

O'Neal then returned to the residence, where her husband took the child from the truck and went into the house.

O'Neal reportedly broke the door window to get into the house. Her husband left through the back with the child and went to a neighbor's house to call 911.

Police transported O'Neal to the Columbia County Detention Center.


  • Comment