• Comment

Police blotter

Grovetown man killed in single-vehicle crash

Posted: December 18, 2011 - 12:04am  |  Updated: December 18, 2011 - 4:01am


Grovetown man killed in single-vehicle crash

A Grovetown man was killed Thursday in an early morning single-vehicle crash in Evans.

Arlie Joseph “A.J.” Allen, 20, was pronounced dead about 2 a.m. by Columbia County Deputy Coroner Harriett Garrison.

Allen, a 2010 graduate of Harlem High School and student at Georgia Military College, was driving a 2001 Ford F-250 pickup south on Hereford Farm Road when he apparently lost control, possibly by running off the shoulder and over-correcting, Garrison said.

Allen’s truck slammed into a utility pole at Calloway Road Extension. He died instantly from multiple body and head trauma, Garrison said.

Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said Allen, the vehicle’s only occupant, was not wearing a seatbelt.

Toxicology tests will be performed by the GBI crime lab, Garrison said.

The following accounts were taken from reports from The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office. Additional reports are available at www.columbiacountyso.org:

Juvenile says foot run over by school bus

A juvenile walking along Gibbs Road on Wednesday said a school bus ran over his foot as it was turning onto Hereford Farm Road.

The male juvenile, whose age was not listed on the report, said he was walking on the shoulder of the road about 3:30 p.m. and the bus’ rear tire ran over his right foot.

The juvenile said he tried to push off the bus to remove his foot, but he lost his balance and had to brace his hands on the pavement so he wouldn’t fall down.

He said the bus rolled back and didn’t completely run over his foot.

A witness in the left turn lane on Cox Road said she saw the boy standing near the road when the bus turned onto Hereford Farm Road. After seeing him run on Gibbs Road, she stopped to talk to him. She said he told her the bus ran over his foot and called his mother.

The boy’s mother notified authorities.

The bus driver said she looked in her rearview mirror before making the turn and did not see the boy. She said she never felt or heard anything indicating that she had run over something.

An investigation revealed that there wasn’t enough evidence to show that the boy’s foot had been run over by the bus.

Student reports attack in Ivy Falls subdivision

A Grovetown High School student reported to deputies Tuesday that he was attacked while talking to classmates in the Ivy Falls subdivision.

The teen said he and a friend were driving in the neighborhood about 3:15 p.m. and stopped to talk to three classmates walking in the area.

The teen played football with one of the classmates and the former teammate accused the teen of calling him a racial slur during football practice in the summer.

The group continued to talk before the teen said he was attacked and knocked unconscious.

When he regained consciousness, the teen drove himself to Grovetown High, where personnel called his parents and he was taken to the hospital. The teen required 14 stitches to his lip.


Police receive call of unresponsive woman

A woman called police to a Martinez residence Monday after seeing another woman lying unresponsive in a chair.

After looking through a storm door window and seeing the woman, the 60-year-old said she banged on the locked door for 45 minutes in an attempt to wake her. When a deputy arrived at the 4100 block of Clinton Way East, he broke the lock and approached the woman, whom he thought wasn’t breathing. He also was unable to find a pulse.

The woman became alert and disoriented right before the deputy was about to start CPR. She was transported to Georgia Health Sciences University Hospital for evaluation.


Man says check for $1,500 was accident

A 72-year-old man told police Monday that he accidentally gave a $1,500 check to his granddaughter, who said it was given to her to buy Christmas gifts.

The man said he received a call from his daughter asking whether he gave his granddaughter a check for $1,500. He then called his granddaughter asking her to return the check, but she refused.

She and her son said the grandfather gave her the check to buy presents for his grandchildren.

The grandfather told deputies that he often is forgetful.

  • Comment