Current weather

  • Overcast, rain
  • 81°
    Overcast, rain
  • Comment

Martinez teen dies after Friday morning fire

Posted: January 10, 2014 - 1:52pm  |  Updated: January 15, 2014 - 1:08am
Back | Next
Logan Davenport (on right, with his sister, Leah), 18, died Friday of smoke inhalation after a fire at his Martinez home.  Special Photo
Special Photo
Logan Davenport (on right, with his sister, Leah), 18, died Friday of smoke inhalation after a fire at his Martinez home.

Lee Davis and Carlton Sanders tried, but could not reach Logan Michael Daven­port when the 18-year-old autistic teen’s home in Martinez burned Friday morning.

Davenport later died at Doctors Hospital of smoke inhalation, Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins said.

“It’s tragic,” Sanders, a next-door neighbor, said of the fire. “We’re all praying for the family.”

Columbia County Fire Rescue spokesman Jeremy Wallen said when firefighters arrived at the home at 454 Amelia Drive about 7:45 a.m, the fire was “through the roof.”

Firefighters searched the home and found Davenport. His mother, Sheree Daven­port, had escaped and called 911. Davis and Sanders helped get her wheelchair-bound father, Larry Janelle, 63, out of the house.

Sheree Davenport was treated at Doctors Hospital for smoke inhalation.

“The smoke took us over,” said Davis, who lives across the street. “There were flames shooting up the walls. We had no choice but to get out before we could get the boy.”

Davis said he thought the fireplace was going when he initially looked out his front window. Then he said he saw the garage catch fire and black smoke coming from the rooftop.

Sanders said he was on his back porch having his morning coffee when he first noticed the fire. He ran to the front of the home, where he and Davis crawled through the hallway into the den and dragged out Janelle.

“The mother was outside hollering to get her son and father,” Davis said. “We did what we could. It’s unfortunate not everyone made it out OK.”

Davis said Janelle, a retired contractor, has lived in the house 15 years and that Sheree Davenport moved from Hartwell, Ga., eight months ago to care for her father, who has a degenerative bone condition.

Wallen said the state fire marshal’s office determined the fire was accidental and likely started in the attic.

  • Comment

Follow News-Times:

News-Times Video »

CONTACT US

  • Main: 706-868-1222
  • Fax: 706-823-6062
  • Email: cnt@newstimesonline.com
  • 4272 Washington Rd, Suite 3B, Evans, Ga. 30809

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES