Plenty of events are scheduled in Columbia County this weekend, though rain is threatening to dampen the outdoor festivities.
Already underway is the 2013 Disc Golf Hall of Fame Classic, taking place at the the International Disc Golf Center in Appling’s Wildwood Park. The national tournament, one of only eight stops on the tour, continues through Sunday.
Spectators might want to bring ponchos or umbrellas; the National Weather Service forecast calls for a 30 percent chance of showers Friday afternoon and evening, increasing Saturday to 50 percent.
Weekend activities continue at the Columbia County Relay for Life, which starts at 7 p.m. Friday at Evans Towne Center Park and runs through 7 a.m. Saturday.
The 12th annual relay, a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society, will open with ceremonies that include laps for cancer survivors and caregivers, a luminaria ceremony at 9:30 p.m. and the Miss Relay contest – featuring men in drag – at 10:15. Closing ceremonies will be held at 6:30 a.m. Saturday.
A couple of hours later at the park, classic cars roll in for the fourth annual Ponies in the Mark car show, featuring Fords and especially Mustangs, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free, but show entries cost $25.
Saturday morning, weather permitting, the annual Martinez-Evans Little League Betsy Bingo festival will be held at Kelly Park on Old Petersburg Road in Martinez.
The annual MELL fundraiser runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., but if it’s rained out, it will be moved to Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Also Saturday morning, at Savannah Rapids Park, Hemophilia of Georgia will hold the Trot to Clot walk and 5K.
Weather could also be a factor in the planned Boy Scout car wash from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Advance Auto Parts in Grovetown.
Saturday’s 50 percent chance of rain rises to 60 percent in the evening, according to the National Weather Service, and continues through Sunday.
That could affect the Shine Your Light 5K planned for 8 p.m. Saturday at West Town Community Church, with the race scheduled to cross North Belair Road and run through Northwood subdivision.
The weekend’s indoor events will have fewer weather worries. They include:
• The performance at 6 p.m. Friday of the Columbia County Orchestra, featuring violinist Jason Pooler, at the Jabez Sanford Hardin Performing Arts Center.
• The speech by author, professor and radio host Ravi Zacharias at 7 p.m. Friday at Abilene Baptist Church.
• A singing of the Sacred Harp, started with shape-note singing lessons, from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at Old Line Primitive Baptist Church, 3646 Old Petersburg Road, Martinez.
• A gardening class at Washington Commons in Evans at 10 a.m. Saturday.
• A book talk from 6:30-10 p.m. Saturday at the Columbia County Library featuring authors Mary Kay Andrews, Beth Harbison and Patti Callahan Henry.
• The 45th anniversary celebration from 2-4 p.m. Sunday at Bel Air Elementary School in Evans.