Two Monday fires caused extensive damage to Columbia County homes.
Firefighters responded to a fire alarm at 3648 Westwood Drive at about 12:30 a.m. and found heavy smoke and fire coming from the back of the home, according to Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Brent Willis. Firefighters quickly got the fire under control.
An addition on to the rear of the home, owned by Roy and Evelyn Walters, was destroyed. The house was damaged by fire, smoke and water, Willis said.
The fire started near a fireplace in the add-on, Willis said. Nobody was injured.
The second fire, which appeared to have started in the front bedroom of the home at 328 Old Evans Road, was reported by passers-by just before 10 a.m., said Martinez-Columbia Fire Special Operations Chief Danny Kuhlmann.
Neighbors said a disabled elderly woman and a dog were in the house, Kuhlmann said, but neither were found during a search. The woman was away from the home.
Kuhlmann said he was one of the first on the scene and that when he arrived, he could see flames coming out of a front window. The fire was quickly brought under control but the home sustained significant smoke and heat damage throughout, he said.
“It’s always bad when something like this happens,” he said. “But it is good that nobody got hurt.”