Current weather

  • Clear sky
  • 75°
    Clear sky
  • Comment

"Sweating" AC pipe starts fire in home wall

Posted: May 31, 2012 - 4:29pm  |  Updated: May 31, 2012 - 4:41pm
Valerie Rowell
Firefighters ripped open the wall of an Evans home for sale Thursday after a fire started in the insulation. A contractor was working on the air conditioning unit at a home on 4897 Somerset Drive at about 2:45 p.m. when the fire started, according to the homeowner Ryan Johnson. The crew “sweated,” or heated up, an exterior refrigerant line leading to the air handler in the attic. The pipe got hot and started a fire inside the wall, Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue Batt. Chief Anthony Lovett said. Firefighters extinguished the fire, which was contained to the first floor, Lovett said. Johnson said the home is for sale and an open house is scheduled for the weekend.

Twitter @ValerieRowell

 

Firefighters ripped open the wall of an Evans home for sale Thursday after a fire started in the insulation.

A contractor was working on the air conditioning unit at a home on 4897 Somerset Drive at about 2:45 p.m. when the fire started, according to the homeowner Ryan Johnson.

The crew “sweated,” or heated up, an exterior refrigerant line leading to the air handler in the attic. The pipe got hot and started a fire inside the wall, Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue Batt. Chief Anthony Lovett said.

Firefighters extinguished the fire, which was contained to the first floor, Lovett said.

Johnson said the home is for sale and an open house is scheduled for the weekend.

  • Comment

Follow News-Times:

News-Times Video »

CONTACT US

  • Main: 706-868-1222
  • Fax: 706-823-6062
  • Email: cnt@newstimesonline.com
  • 4272 Washington Rd, Suite 3B, Evans, Ga. 30809

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES