Current weather

  • Overcast, mist
  • 70°
    Overcast, mist
  • Comment

Chimney fire damages Martinez home

Posted: November 9, 2011 - 7:20pm

Twitter @JennaNMartin

Firefighters extinguished a blaze today that started in the chimney of a Martinez townhome before it spread to other units.

A man had started a fire in his fireplace at the home on Joshua Tree Drive when he walked outside and saw smoke coming out from the wall housing the chimney, said Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Danny Kuhlmann.

The man called firefighters at about 4:45 p.m. and escaped the home with his daughter.

Firefighters got to the fire just as flames were reaching the attic, containing it before it could spread to other units, Kuhlmann said.

The fire caused structural damage to the chimney and attic as well as smoke damage, Kuhlmann said.

The homeowners likely will stay elsewhere overnight, he said.

 

  • Comment

Follow News-Times:

News-Times Video »

CONTACT US

  • Main: 706-868-1222
  • Fax: 706-823-6062
  • Email: cnt@newstimesonline.com
  • 4272 Washington Rd, Suite 3B, Evans, Ga. 30809

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES