Current weather

  • Overcast
  • 52°
    Overcast
  • Comment

A trash fire destroyed a shed and many memories for resident.

Posted: April 4, 2014 - 6:14pm  |  Updated: April 4, 2014 - 6:16pm
Firefighters quickly extinguished a grass fire that spread to a shed, but not before many of Becky Peck's memories went up in smoke.  Photo by Jim Blaylock
Photo by Jim Blaylock
Firefighters quickly extinguished a grass fire that spread to a shed, but not before many of Becky Peck's memories went up in smoke.

When a trash fire got out of control it destroyed more than a storage shed, it consumed many of Becky Peck's most cherished memories.

"All my family photos were in there," lamented Peck.

In addition to the photos, many of Peck's clothes and other personal items went up in flames.

Peck had been burning trash in a large metal barrel on her 4.5 acre property on N. Old Belair Road several hours earlier and thought the fire was out.

"After it burned down I threw a wet cloth on top and thought that would smother it out," said Peck.

Sometime later the grass around the barrel caught fire and quickly spread to a nearby storage shed.

When Columbia County Fire-Rescue trucks arrived on the scene the shed was fully engulfed and the contents were a total loss.

No damage was reported to the house on the property.

 

 

 

  • Comment

Follow News-Times:

News-Times Video »

CONTACT US

  • Main: 706-868-1222
  • Fax: 706-823-6062
  • Email: cnt@newstimesonline.com
  • 4272 Washington Rd, Suite 3B, Evans, Ga. 30809

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES