Current weather

  • Clear sky
  • 55°
    Clear sky
  • Comment

Martinez employee caught in explosion

Posted: October 26, 2011 - 1:04pm  |  Updated: October 26, 2011 - 4:03pm

 

An employee of a Martinez business was taken to the Joseph M. Still burn Center after setting himself on fire this morning.

O’Brien’s Glass employee Jessie Cosby received serious burns at about 11;45 a.m., when a can of de-natured alcohol exploded inside the business at 3842 Washington Road, Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Jimmie Paschal said.

Business owner Dave O’Brien said Cosby was using the alcohol and a flame to work on laminated glass. The flame reached the can, which exploded in Cosby’s face and set his torso, arms and head on fire. He ran through the shop until a colleague used a fire extinguisher to extinguish the flames.

Cosby was listed in critical condition this afternoon, said Doctors Hospital spokeswoman Barclay Bishop.

 

  • Comment

Follow News-Times:

News-Times Video »

CONTACT US

  • Main: 706-868-1222
  • Fax: 706-823-6062
  • Email: cnt@newstimesonline.com
  • 4272 Washington Rd, Suite 3B, Evans, Ga. 30809

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES