Current weather

  • Overcast
  • 70°
    Overcast
  • Comment

Fire in dryer briefly evacuates Greenbrier Middle School

Posted: October 25, 2011 - 8:22am  |  Updated: October 25, 2011 - 8:24am

School is reported “back to normal” this morning at Greenbrier Middle School after a fire in a clothes dryer caused an evacuation.

Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue spokesman Jeremy Wallen says the department was dispatched to the school shortly after 7 a.m. on a report of a fire in the school’s kitchen.

The fire turned out to be in a clothes dryer used for towels and quickly was extinguished by the school's sprinkler system, Wallen said.

During the investigation, students and staff were evacuated from the school and incoming traffic was diverted next door to Greenbrier High School, Wallen said.

Once the smoke was cleared from the kitchen, students and staff were allowed back into the school and all was “back to normal” shortly after 8 a.m., Wallen said.

  • Comment

Follow News-Times:

News-Times Video »

CONTACT US

  • Main: 706-868-1222
  • Fax: 706-823-6062
  • Email: cnt@newstimesonline.com
  • 4272 Washington Rd, Suite 3B, Evans, Ga. 30809

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES